iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problem Drying walnut

Started by Charles, April 24, 2019, 09:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

Thanks Gene, That makes sense from the side.
What does everyone do with large slabs? The same idea.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

I go through the bark on the side with insulated pins.  When I pull the load, I will check along a few faces.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Stephen1

YH What do you use along the faces?
do you use the hammer pins to go thru the bark?
What moisture % do you consider dry on large slabs 2" or 3" thick?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

YellowHammer

On slabs, I use the insulated pins on my Delhmorst, and drive them through the bark edge into the wood to get a general ideas of the moisture.  That way, the holes aren't visible in the product, unless the customer removes the bark.  

The when ready to pull a load, I will do a final check on a face or two, driving them in and checking at at a few depths, in an ugly part of the slab, which I will probably trim off later.

I want it down to 8% then go into the sterilization cycle.  When completed and cooled, I want the slabs about 8% to 7% throughout their thickness.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tule peak timber

Very informative thread for me, thanks for all the inputs.
 Thank you K-guy for helping me with programming issues on my controller.Cheers  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!