Santeria and sacrificial chickens have their place too..  :D

😂😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

K-Guy

@Southside 
@YellowHammer 

You two seem to have a real chicken fetish. ;D :D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

Actually, I have a real soft spot in my heart for Guinea Hens, even though I believe they are the stupidest animals ever created.  I swear I had one laying eggs on my roof, because I'd find cracked eggs in the gutter downspouts.  I like chickens, though.  Fried, baked, and roasted.  

Definately, the best time to finish plane a board is after it's done moving.  There was some information I've read in the past that planing green would slightly reduce the amount of potential surface checking, but after trying it once, and only once, never again.  

Planing green wood was a disaster the one time I tried.  The chips wouldn't clear and go into the dust collector.  The wet chips would would jam under the feed rollers and cause stalling.  The boards would jam and have to be pulled by hand.  The worse thing was when I came back the next day and my planer was a huge pile of rust, as if I had sprayed everything with a water hose, which is basically what I did when the dripping wet chips went all through the planer.  For me, it was a royal mistake.  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 29, 2019, 05:48:35 PM

Definately, the best time to finish plane a board is after it's done moving.  There was some information I've read in the past that planing green would slightly reduce the amount of potential surface checking, but after trying it once, and only once, never again.  

Planing green wood was a disaster the one time I tried.  The chips wouldn't clear and go into the dust collector.  The wet chips would would jam under the feed rollers and cause stalling.  The boards would jam and have to be pulled by hand.  The worse thing was when I came back the next day and my planer was a huge pile of rust, as if I had sprayed everything with a water hose, which is basically what I did when the dripping wet chips went all through the planer.  For me, it was a royal mistake.  
YH, given your hands on experience, what would you say is the highest MC you would consider planing?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

YellowHammer

13%-15% or roughly air dried would be the max I would bother with.  I've hit wet spots of 20% in some wood and it's too wet for the planer, it rips and tears.  As a matter of fact, that's a good way to tell if you are getting wet spots, especially in walnut. 

Air dried will move when brought down to kiln dried.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, 15% is the number I had in my head too, but given your experience I wanted to hear if I was too high. I don't have a planer and don't want to mess up anybody else's that I might put wood thorough. I have some slabs I will be planing in a week or two but they are at or below 12% last I checked.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 29, 2019, 10:36:59 PMAir dried will move when brought down to kiln dried.

Oh yes it will!!  Learned that lesson the hard way trying to run some reclaimed oak flooring cut from beams for a customer.  He sawed them, ran them through a SLR, then sent them to me to dry and run through the moulder.  Talk about a MISERABLE experience....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!