iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash flooring/sub flooring

Started by bulldozerjoe, August 25, 2019, 02:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldozerjoe

I got a question, last spring i cut and skidded approx, 1200 square foot of ash.... I had them milled up in to 4 inch wide t and g... my flooring is complete and it's time to install... i ripped out all the carpet.  Under the carpet is 1/2 inch plywood... when I walk on it it makes noise... so my plan is to sheet over it with one side sanded plywood.    What thickness should I add over top... money is no object, I want it done right.... thanks
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000
Sthil 021-028super-029-066

Southside

Is the plywood that is there just plywood or was it true underlayment in that it has a lap?  For sure you want to secure that layer down better than it is to eliminate the present squeak before you do anything more.  Will you have radiant heat under this floor?  I would lean toward another 1/2" underlayment, but the question becomes do you have room under your doors for the additional 1.25" rise that will create in the end.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

bulldozerjoe

It's just regular 1/2 plywood, no regular doors in my house.... there all being switched to farm house slider doors.... I'm just getting rid of the doors, drywalling and corner beading the opening and making farm house sliders out of butter nut that I cut
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000

bulldozerjoe

The down stairs is gutted, getting all new cabinets and everything so I'm not worried about the height of everything 
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000

Thank You Sponsors!