iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pricing for live edge Baseboard

Started by DgoDrummer, October 08, 2019, 09:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DgoDrummer

Got a client who'd like me to mill up simple live edge pine baseboard. 3/4"x 3"+/- live edge; planned on face only. I have no idea other than an hourly rate, how to price this. Job requires only a few steps: milling, table saw, planning one side. No stain or clear coat, customer will do that. 

any ideas? 

In the past I've charge a board ft price then an hourly rate for other work.

thoughts? 

thanks folks! 

cheers from Durango CO

Southside

Are you going to dry the lumber first?  For jobs like that I have a BF price for the lumber then a liner foot price for further processing.  The customer does not get a breakdown, just a set price per foot, job, etc.  This allows you to calculate a price per ft of finished material and the customer knows what the job will cost him, eliminates any "boy that guy milks it" thinking when the bill comes due.  The challenge for you is to decide how many linear feet you can run in an hour, and what you want to earn per hour worked, so you can convert that into a linear foot price.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tule peak timber

We run about 4$ per lineal foot for 6 inch tall, end matched with a stain/finish.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

DgoDrummer

great info friends. thank you. 

just got off the phone with my sawyer and woodworking mentor (he's retired, now lives on a boat in alaska) and he suggested $2/linear ft. that'd be in line with tule. 

Southside, I agree... the challenge is that I have never done this job for anyone but myself on my place. It's the first time I'll have to track my time. 

I think I'll quote her at $2 a learn ft. for end matched, w/o stain (customer wants to do that herself), then I'll see if her eyes pop out or not.  

thanks again. 

Brad_bb

Remember, it's easier to lower your price.  Once you've set a price, you can never go up.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!