iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A cool day in New Market Al with Yellowhammer

Started by flatrock58, December 17, 2019, 09:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

Me and my friends Mike and Kevin spent the afternoon with Yellowhammer in north Alabama today.  Had a great time and really appreciated the time Robert took to show us his operation and go over some kiln operating info.  It is some kind of cold in Alabama though.  We might have to plan another trip when the weather is warmer!  Thanks Robert..
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Stephen1

Cold! Cold is when you have snow and it squeeks when you walk on it. 
I bet it was great day though.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

YellowHammer

It was a fun visit by the guys.  They got a complete tour of the entire operation and I showed them the details of the kilns as well as most everything else.  Its always good to see folks for the Forum, and visit with them.

Yes, it was cold, dropping to mid 30's with a heavy wind.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Crusarius

Forgive me for disagreeing, but lately that weather is a heat wave for us :)

Hilltop366

Practically T shirt weather! :D

So I drove to town this morning and there was a guy out shovelling snow in shorts, I checked the temperature it was 26°f with a wind chill that made it feel like 19°f.

He was wearing a light jacket though.

Woodpecker52

Anything below 30 in Mississippi is considered artic weather.  A  one inch snow will completely shut the states roads down, two and they are calling on the gov. to declare a state of emergency.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

jeepcj779

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

That's COLD for Alabama I'm sure!  When you're not used to it...When it first turns cold here in IL mid 30's and windy is COLD.  Then by a month later you can handle it in shorts.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

YellowHammer

Quote from: jeepcj779 on December 18, 2019, 04:43:49 PM
Was it too cold and windy to take pictures?
Yep, the wind was blowing so cold and hard our Southern cell phones wouldn't even work. :D They automatically shut off when the temp falls to "Brrrr".

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

K-Guy

Quote from: thecfarm on December 18, 2019, 05:51:57 PMI betcha he's a nice person to meet.

Both him and his wife are true southerners, helpful and friendly. You will be hard pressed to find better.:)
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

YellowHammer

Yep, I couldn't do it without her.  As a matter of fact, she had some surgery done on her hand today and the Doc said no heavy lifting with that hand for a couple weeks.  He did say a beer was not too heavy.  

YellowHammerisms:

jeepcj779

YH,
 I just had my right shoulder worked on last week. Had the spurs roto-rootered off and had a portion of my biceps tendon cut out and reset. Doc said no heavy lifting for 3 months. I was still pretty high from the pain meds, but I made sure that 16oz lifting was OK.

Thank You Sponsors!