The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Mechanical Grapple  (Read 3789 times)

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
Re: Mechanical Grapple
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2022, 08:15:43 AM »

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline hedgerow

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2022, 11:08:02 AM »
I wouldn't be with out my hyd grapple. I have the ROBO grapple made by circle 3 welding in Langford Kansas. I have the eight foot model. Its heavy but very well built. This guy has been building tree saws, tree shears and grapples for twenty years and has it figured out were the weak spots are and what needs protected. I have had this one ten years and its been used a lot and hard. Clearing pastures is hard on equipment. We buck all our wood using a grapple. We haven't buck wood on the ground since buying a grapple. Yes hooking the hoses up can be a pain. I have another set of ends with a piece of pipe and a cap on the end to catch the oil and I plug them into the grapple when I unhook it. When I am cleaning up the pasture I may switch between the grapple and tree saw a dozen times a day. With the grapple setting in the sun it builds a little pressure so I plug the dummy ends in the hoses. Tree saw motor doesn't build pressure so no need to plug the ends into it.  

Offline mike_belben

• Senior Member x2
  • Pulp Friction
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2022, 12:56:40 PM »
A stump bucket grapple should not be discounted by anyone with aux plumbing on a lighter duty tractor. Its smaller and therefore lighter while being made from heavy plate. 

I sketch and build and rebuild and anyalyze and resketch a continuaal development of attachments.. I actually thought i was gonna be an attachment manufacturer when i moved my equipment to TN and got it under one roof but the covid scene has changed the world. 

Anyways.. im telling you, i could not design a full width brush style of grapple capable of grabbing a log all the ways a stump bucket grapple can.  The only thing the stump bucket is not really good at is being a root rake.  But a root rake thumb is easy to make and put on your regular blade or bucket if you need that so badly.  

For anything logs that isnt dangling from a knuckle boom,  i will take a stump bucket hydraulic grapple and build it out custom for each persons use. 
Revelation 13:11-18

Online LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2022, 02:49:21 PM »
Had it been just for use on my tractor I would have gone with a hydraulic grapple of some kind. My tractor is already plumbed, but Lindy's little 30 horse would have had to have another valve added. Truth be told though, I may as well have gone with the hydraulic because she has never used the emechanical one on her tractor.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Offline stavebuyer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2022, 03:21:34 PM »
Had it been just for use on my tractor I would have gone with a hydraulic grapple of some kind. My tractor is already plumbed, but Lindy's little 30 horse would have had to have another valve added. Truth be told though, I may as well have gone with the hydraulic because she has never used the emechanical one on her tractor.
I see you have a 5410 on your signature line. No question I would go hydraulic with anything 50HP and up. 25-35hp compact tractors are a whole different class of machine. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Who sells a one-handed, small log / firewood grapple? Tongs with a grapple

Started by Jasperfield on Forestry and Logging

12 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 09:12:16 PM
by Dave Shepard
xx
Mechanical

Started by BWC on Ask The Forester

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2018, 06:37:48 PM
by mike_belben