The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Storing dried lumber  (Read 430 times)

Offline Everest123

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Storing dried lumber
« on: May 26, 2020, 04:37:37 PM »
I'm unloading my kiln which has fully dried and sterilized its first full load.  Now I need a place to store this Lumber and I have a large empty garage with plenty of space.  I've set up a dehumidifier in there and can easily keep the humidity at 40%.  Question - Do I need to use stickers in the wood piles or can I stack one board right on top of the other. It is all between 4 and 6% at this point.

I'd rather not use stickers in my storage area I would use a set just to keep them off the concrete but  would be it.

Thoughts?

-Jeff

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Storing dried lumber
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 05:26:14 PM »
I would put some strips down to keep the lumber off concrete, but dead stacking dry wood is ok.  My plan as well. And a dehumidifier is needed as well.  My shop is really humid right now after all this rain, been dumping the dehumidifier 2 times per day.  When the dehumidifier is full, says 60% right now, running says 50. Supposed to heat up soon going by the forecast.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 08:17:02 PM »
That will work just fine. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 11:03:49 PM »
If you deadstack it on pallets, it gets it off the floor and also makes it easy to move.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it wont roll, its not a log; its still a piece of tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not pieces of trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, theyre burned, and you cant fix them.  Dont burn the cookies.

Offline low_48

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 06:00:28 PM »
Do you have powder post beetle there? Even dry and sterilized can be infested. Not as likely as air dried, but still possible.

Offline Everest123

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2020, 12:03:22 PM »
I 100% have PPBs here.  Sadly some firewood was stored in this very garage a number of years ago and a lot of stuff got eaten up.  An old ox yoke, several tool handles (all of that was hickory) and a few walking sticks.  No impact on my exposed rafters, etc. so I suspect a hardwood variety.  Nothing in several years though and I've removed all of the affected wood and "bombed" the garage.  

I have a bucket of Propylene Glycol, and 40 pounds of Borax and Boric Acid on the way.  I plan to cook up some Bora Care equivalent and spray down all of this lumber.  And moving forward I'll be treating everything straight off the mill so I don't have to be concerned about PPBs.

Interestingly, whatever beetles I had appear to have been mighty particular.  For example, I have a large hardwood workbench in that garage.  Totally untouched.  Many wooden tools and only one handle in particular got attacked.  Several walking sticks, and only one got hit.  The old antique ox yoke got it the worst.  It was completely riddled with thousands of holes.

But no new activity for at least 3-4 years that I can tell.

Offline farmfromkansas

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 02:18:03 PM »
Good thing to treat.  I have neighbors who are using a Morton building to store lumber, and it got PPB in it, lots of boards infected.  all stickered and on pallets.   Neighbor said they will probably have to burn the lumber.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Offline GeneWengert-WoodDoc

• Senior Member x2
  • Author of "Sawing Hardwood Lumber"
    • Share Post
    • Book on Sawing hardwood Lumber
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 05:16:38 PM »
If you stack the dried, sterilized lumber on a pallet that did not go through the kiln with the lumber, and if it hardwood pallet, you have a good chance of infecting the fresh lumber with lyctid PPB from the pallet.  A heat treating stamp on the pallet is of no value...the pallet can get the PPB after heat treating before you use it.  Same for 4x4s.

From the time the lumber leaves the kiln u til it goes into the garage, it must be kept away from (30 at least) from all other hardwoods.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
storing dried lumber ???

Started by caveman on Drying and Processing

5 Replies
Last post March 26, 2020, 06:17:23 PM
by caveman
xx
Storing dried lumber

Started by D6c on Drying and Processing

68 Replies
Last post May 31, 2020, 09:40:19 AM
by Stephen1