iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar Lumber Drying Workshop

Started by VTwood, August 06, 2020, 10:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTwood

There are two days left to register for the VT Solar Lumber Drying Workshop. The workshop will be held online using course management software and will be self paced with a live question and answer session on August 14th at 1:00. Access to course material starts at 8:00am August 9th and runs to the end of the course on August 14th. Completing the modules takes about four hours and you can complete them as time permits or do them all in a row if you prefer. Each module is composed of per-recorded video, handouts and some questions for you to answer. The final module is live question and answer session with the the instructor. Yes, we're trying something a little different given these trying times.......

There are 6 Modules:
I. Welcome and Introduction
II. Measuring Moisture Content
III. VT Solar Kiln Design
IV. Construction of the Solar Kiln
V. Solar Kiln Operation
VI. Live Question and Answer Session

The cost is $10 and registration is required. Registration closes this Friday. Registration online can be accessed here:

Cut and paste this ridiculous link in your browser:

| Virginia Cooperative Extension

or go to this website and click the "Here" in register here. (should be working now)
Drying Lumber with a Solar Kiln (Virtual Program) | Sustainable Biomaterials | Virginia Tech

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at bbond@vt.edu

Cheers,
Brian Bond

doc henderson

hey Brian.  I plan to do this.  the link to sign up is not ok, but I will go dirct.  if I click on welcom it sends me to a login so that is working.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

@VTwood I went to the VT website and found workshops dating back to 2009, but not the online one.  I want to do it, so let me know if I need to call, or pm me, but there may be others who want to do it also.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

Post a link, pm or sign me up too. I signed up several years ago but alas ended up pumping concrete that day, the class would have been much more fun  :D

VTwood

Ok, I THINK that I was able to add a live link to the registration in the mention above. Not sure what happened in my first post.

I'll post again here:

| Virginia Cooperative Extension

or go to this website and click the "Here" in register here. (should be working now)
Drying Lumber with a Solar Kiln (Virtual Program) | Sustainable Biomaterials | Virginia Tech

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at bbond@vt.edu

Thanks for letting me know the links weren't working.

Brian

doc henderson

Don P

@VTwood
Hey Brian, I got as far as login>I am a new user>Settings>Address.
It took that info and seems to be frozen.
I'd be happy to give you da money and get my bona fides too  ;D

You can catch me here or it took my windyhill email

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I will be attending the Q&A session at the end, just in case Dr. B needs help.  He did ask me to attend that part.  See you there.  Gene
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

doc henderson

@Don P the whole process was a little clunky, but I got done and charged to a credit card.  I had to back out an email that was in there twice.  we will see if it works when the class starts.  @GeneWengert-WoodDoc I look forward to asking questions that Mr. Bond cannot answer, but you can.! :) :) :)

VTwood

All,

If you have difficulty registering, please contact me at bbond@vt.edu. I can get you in touch with the registration folks. That is out of my hands....they don't trust professors to handle money. We might head to the Bahamas's with your $10....

Yes, Gene will be joining us for the Q&A session on Friday.

Look forward to seeing how this goes............

Brian

Don P

Just call me Special Ed, got it done. Might have been the storms and satellite connection, we've been getting hammered today.

So if I slide you a $20 can I go too  :D

Old Greenhorn

Well I don't recall any issues signing up when this first went up, I am 'in' and have been getting the emails. Just started last night downloading the available materials so I can read ahead and focus during the sessions. I wanted to print out and bind one of the books, but my printer ran out of toner (woefully short of the 1,000 pages they promised), so I will have to read off the monitor instead until the new cartirdge arrives on Monday. (they sell the printers local but don't carry the cartridges!?)
 Very much looking forward to this. Thanks.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

tacks Y

Nebraska

anchorhd

Old Greenhorn

Just a follow up for anyone who finds this in a search. The class was very well done IMHO and most enjoyable with a ton of documentation and information. I would be interested in anything else of this sort that comes along. Most worthwhile! Thanks Dr. Bond.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

doc henderson

well done with lots of printable material and manuals.  it was good to see @Old Greenhorn in person via zoom.  we should of hung out and had a beer.  also good to see and visit with @GeneWengert-WoodDoc .  Nice to get to know Dr, Bond @VTwood  a little as well!  thanks all.  in the age of covid, nice to still have some learning and interaction 

tacks Y

doc, Nice to see what you look like with facial hair. Sorry my computer is to smart for me and I am unable to talk on Zoom.

Nebraska

I enjoyed the class as well, wish I could have done the live session. I hope they do more topics.  I learned a couple things I will use immediately. 

tacks Y

Quote from: tacks Y on August 15, 2020, 07:18:16 AM
doc, Nice to see what you look like with facial hair. Sorry my computer is to smart for me and I am unable to talk on Zoom.
I meant no facial hair.

Old Greenhorn

Hey Lookie Here! I got me some genuine bona fides from the VT class to hang on the wall (actually a header) out in the shop. 

Ain't nobody gonna see it but me, but it's fun anyway. It was a great class especially that last live session. I wish the recording could be available for the folks that missed it. There was as much to be learned by the questions and answers as there were from the previous 4 modules. I got a lot out of it, I really did. Very professional job. I do a lot of these video training's and live sessions, but it's the first time there were certificates. I think that is a nice professional touch. Well done.

doc henderson

It was a great class, and hopefully they can arrange for recordings to be available in the future. @Old Greenhorn why did Gene and Brian not sign yours?... :D :D :D  oh well mine either!  

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on August 17, 2020, 12:50:58 PMwhy did Gene and Brian not sign yours?... :D :D :D  oh well mine either!  
I am certain it must have something to do with the COVID protocols. :D

Nebraska

Maybe they will sign them  at a later date. 8)

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Maybe we can sign electronically.  I just did that for a new mortgage at our church for $460,000. 

Gene 
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!