iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Better Way To Apply Anchorseal

Started by 123maxbars, December 04, 2020, 05:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

It has been several years since I spoke with them so I do not claim to remember for sure.  still prob. better to keep it room temp if able.  they did have great tech service people and answered lots of questions.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

logbyr

I buy it winterized in 55 gal barrels.  
Overwinter in an unheated building and haven't had an issue with it going bad on me.   
I know unwinterized stuff can get very chunky 

mohicanww

The winter version of Anchorseal 2 just has "wood alcohol" added to it which is methanol. Regular windshield washer fluid is methanol, just mix it in and it wont freeze.

There is also an environmentally friendly winter version of Anchorseal 2 which just has propylene glycol added which is Marine/RV antifreeze.
2002 WoodMizer LT40HDD42 w/Accuset 2

Walnut Beast

When I talked to them they have it that way because of EPA restrictions in some states. They definitely don't recommend you adding anything to there mixture on your own as you are defeating the purpose of it. That I personally agree with totally 

DR Buck

I'm really glad this thread was started and migrated as it did because it reminded me to move my end sealer into the shop so it don't freeze.    :)    

Also, just want to note that the last batch I bough t was the Bailey's version.   I got 10 gallons of it a few months back.

Quote from: doc henderson on December 07, 2020, 07:48:23 PM
......, as well as color.  ............
For color, mainly to separate customer lumber I will usually mix in a small amount of latex paint to tint it with.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

petefrom bearswamp

Being totally out of business now I thank my lucky stars that I dont have to worry about applying this anymore.
When I did it was only a few logs at a time so brush worked just fine.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Walnut Beast

Quote from: logbyr on December 09, 2020, 01:52:50 PM
I buy it winterized in 55 gal barrels.  
Overwinter in an unheated building and haven't had an issue with it going bad on me.  
I know unwinterized stuff can get very chunky
I plan on getting the winterized version. How are you applying it ?

mohicanww

I just got a $100 husqvarna backpack off Amazon and it works great, It comes with 3 different nozzles, I used the red high flow nozzle and thinned the anchorseal a little bit and it sprays like a champ, I'm not sure I really even needed to thin it any.

If you want a sprayer for half the price of the Chapin here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P11RRXQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_3rq1Fb5EXG7QS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
2002 WoodMizer LT40HDD42 w/Accuset 2

logbyr

I have the Honda motor driven pump from UC Coatings that sits on top of my barrel.   The barrel sits in a home made cradle that allows me to move it around my yard securely with the skid steer.    I can load it in the back of my truck if I need to wax in the field.    For small jobs like when I have one log that needs waxed I keep a 5 gal bucket with anchorseal and just roll it on.

whittle1

Oops!! Wish I had read this earlier, I've only used about a gallon of anchor seal out of a 5 gallon bucket that has been sitting outside with lows in the 30's. What happens to it when it freezes and how can I tell if it is bad?

doc henderson

it will separate and be hard to mix back up (emulsify) is what I understand.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

scsmith42

Quote from: doc henderson on December 20, 2020, 10:01:40 AM
it will separate and be hard to mix back up (emulsify) is what I understand.
Yup. Simply said, it's gets "chunky" and becomes difficult to apply. Clogs up a sprayer in a heartbeat too.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

It looks like chunky cottage cheese.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I saw one mill in Wisconsin that had an old, small, mail-delivery vehicle that they kept the Anchorseal in.  It had an added electric heater that they used when parked.  They sprayed logs and lumber.  Just drove up, sprayed, and on to another job.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

PA_Walnut

Yes indeed. Very much worth the effort.

For an added win, I went to the battery powered sprayer. Customized the tip a bit, don't cut the AnchorSeal and it sprays like a champ.

Down side is that it's WAY easier to burn through sealer, as some gets wasted with over-spray, etc. Time is money too, so I believe it's a wash with the waste. On high-value logs, I go back with a big brush, try to work it into the end-grain a bit, then spray some more. Works great.

The reminds me, I need to order some AnchorSeal!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!