iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade sharpening additive to the water tray

Started by fba-2c, February 01, 2021, 09:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fba-2c

I have old style wood mizer blade sharpener and am almost out of the additive one puts in water tray to prevent blade rusting/ corrosion.  Asked wood mizer Canada and they did not know what it was.  Does anyone have any ideas what it was.... the labeling disappeared long ago and just have the white plastic bottle left with a bit of bluish fluid in it

Stephen1

I always used automotive radiator antifreeze in my tray.  I was told by Dave at WM Canada to use it. He is retired now.  It worked as a lubricant and when sharpening in the winter it didn't freeze
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Stephen1

Quote from: fba-2c on February 01, 2021, 09:37:16 PM
I have old style wood mizer blade sharpener and am almost out of the additive one puts in water tray to prevent blade rusting/ corrosion.  Asked wood mizer Canada and they did not know what it was.  Does anyone have any ideas what it was.... the labeling disappeared long ago and just have the white plastic bottle left with a bit of bluish fluid in it
Call and talk to Brian at the Lyndsay Office for the name of the additive. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Kawartha Lakes

If you would still like some call back to Wood-Mizer and ask for P/N A04673-1.

D6c

I think I still have an unused bottle of the woodmizer stuff from the late '80s.  I'll take a look tomorrow to see if it says what it is.  If you want it you can have it.

D6c

Here's the bottle I have.  It doesn't say what's in it.  Right now it's frozen solid and since it's biodegradeable I'd be surprized if it's still good after all these years.
An alternative would be to use a water based synthetic cutting fluid that is commonly used in machine shops.  They have corrosion inhibitors and treatment to prevent bio growth.  The old soluable oil cutting fluids that were used years ago would get nasty....just about make you gag from the smell.

Thank You Sponsors!