iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keeping splitter tools handy

Started by VTKubotaM6800, March 05, 2021, 11:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTKubotaM6800

I picked up a Stihl hookaroon last fall after splitting season was over. Looking forward to trying it out soon. Does anybody have pictures or tips on ways to keep tools like this upright and ready to grab to retrieve the next chunk to be split? Leaning it on something might work, but seems less than ideal. I was thinking magnetic broom holder or maybe mounting a small magnet on the shaft of the hookaroon to stick it wherever happens to be convenient? What works for you?
M6800, Farmi JL 601 winch, Titan BX26S chipper, Pronovost P-860 snowblower, Woods 9000 backhoe, Stihl MS362C-M

Old Greenhorn

I haven't found anything that works really well and I have tried a bunch of things. Seems like it is always out of reach. So what I do is swing the pieces up on the splitter bed then drive the hook into the next piece to be split so it's ready to grab. That seems to work best for me. But if you find something better I would love to hear it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nathan4104

On my processor I've mounted pieces of 3" abs vertically, with a cap on the bottom (drilled a hole to drain water) to store an ace and pickeroon.  On another spot I mounted some just off horizontal to hold a shovel and rake. 

Hilltop366

My splitter is on the 3ph on the tractor, the lift arm on the tractor has a metal ring that my hook will fit in and the handle rest on the pipe that goes over to the lift pin. 

Please be mindful of the direction you swing the hookaroon, always down or away. You only bounce the hook off your shins once or twice before you really pay attention!

47sawdust

My hand tools are never where they should be.I work alone but someone is always moving them.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

hedgerow

Quote from: Nathan4104 on March 05, 2021, 12:55:45 PM
On my processor I've mounted pieces of 3" abs vertically, with a cap on the bottom (drilled a hole to drain water) to store an ace and pickeroon.  On another spot I mounted some just off horizontal to hold a shovel and rake.
I have a couple pieces of square tube welded on my splitter and couple on the processor to store a pickeroon and a sledge in. Works well and they are right there when needed. 

Thank You Sponsors!