iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Double Sided Carpet Planer - The Verdict is In

Started by YellowHammer, February 09, 2022, 04:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

Some time ago, we debated buying a big double sided Cantek, 25" carpet planer, and there wasn't a lot of information out on the web other than what the good people on this Forum could provide, about its effectiveness, speed, reliability, etc.  So we bit the bullet, bought one, spent a to of money, bought a new 460V 3 phase generator, a new dust collector system, and lots of duct work.  We had been documenting this through our Tube channel, but thought I'd post a follow up, so people could know our experiences and impressions.  

We have used it quite a bit, and the answer is a resounding Wow! and Yes! it works.  There are some tricks, no doubt, and there was a substantial learning curve, and more than once, we looked at each other and said "What have we done?" when boards come out more twisted than when they went in.    However, as we learned to use it, how to orient the boards, how to feed them, how to tweak the planer itself, then the quality of the wood it produces became second to none, and comes out as flat as a pancake.  Of course, if there isn't enough wood to take off to flatten the board, then there isn't much we can do.  However, if there is enough meat on the boards, this machine can take 1/4" off per side, per pass, so 1/2" per pass on even hard wood, like maple and oak.

Some wood needs to be pre flattened with our big facer, some can be flattened straight away in the planer.  We have run quite a bit of wood through it, and it's amazing.

Here are a couple videos of it operating, with real wood being made to sell to real customers.  Maybe  these will help anybody in the future making a decision on one of these double sided carpet planer.  Please don't give me grief about the titles, I know, they are a little heavy on the marketing side. 

Monster Planer in Action Making the Best Wood - Incredible - YouTube

How to Use the Best Jointer and Planer Combo You Can Buy! - YouTube

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scsmith42

Nice video's Robert.

I've had the Oliver version of your Planer for 14 years, and it is the workhorse of the shop.  It's more than paid for itself.

One tip that I'll share..... when it comes time to purchase new carbide inserts, try to source either US Mfg or German ones.  The last time that I replaced mine I opted for Chineese, and have regretted it ever since.  They will break much easier than the German / US ones.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

That's a great tip, I will remember it.  Your input was a substantial reason I bought one.  It works great!
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WDH

That sweet girl is the heart of the operation 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 09, 2022, 08:07:18 PM
That's a great tip, I will remember it.  Your input was a substantial reason I bought one.  It works great!
Considering how much you have helped me and others on this forum, I am glad that I was able to return the favor in a small way.
Enjoy!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

customsawyer

I have no idea how many thousands of bf I have put through mine. It has been a game changer in my operation. The volume of material it can handle and remove in one pass is nothing short of amazing. Great videos.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Walnut Beast

btulloh

Nice machine, but I'm surprised that you didn't opt to buy a tree smoother. Perhaps those are only available in GA.
HM126

WDH

Not just anybody can operate a tree smoother.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TWG

Great videos Robert I am waiting for the woodmaster 725 I ordered, I know it won't compare but this is still a hobby. 
Thanks for all your sharing.

YellowHammer

I'm not sure I could operate a tree smoother, I'm from Alabama. :D :D

For anybody interested, the machine does have a learning curve, much like a facer, the boards need to fed in a certain orientation to get the best results.  The carpet needs to be adjusted and other stuff... However, when its dialed in, it does an incredible job.

YellowHammerisms:

Andries

YH: Excellent video! The quality and content are really top notch, and are approaching Metro-Goodwin-Myer standards! Have you got Martha on a model/actor contract ? better button that down. Another studio (CustomSawyer?) may try to steal her away . . And Chip is the strong silent type, always at the wheel. 
Between you and Jake Dean, the videos are just flying out of the Deep South. One missing actor in this Three Amigos triangle is Danny. @WDH are you planning on releasing video content as well? 
We should set up a red carpet event for the Forestry Forum Actors Guild.
😁😁😁 
We in the Glaciated Northlands always enjoy a well done "show and tell" YouTube product from the warmer parts of the continent.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WDH

I think that I will stick to smoothing trees and leave the video making to the tall and handsome. 

YellowHammer

I appreciate you watching the videos.  We try to show that while we have nice equipment, we spend a lot of personal effort to make our wood as good as any out there.  We both work long hours and the videos help people understand we aren't just a Lowe's or Home Depot, that we actually touch and work the wood in all of its phases.  

Danny is holding out out on us, but I'm sure we will get him in the movies before long.  

The funny thing is that more people know about Chip in the videos than me.  He's the star.  We've had people literally come to see Chip.  Kind of like Lassie.  Just last week we had a family visit because their daughter wanted to see Chip and give him a treat.  So the parents bought wood and the little girl petted Chip.

Yes, you are all correct, without Martha, my operation would not exist.  

I've got all sorts of ideas for new videos, hopefully some of them will be worth watching.  One thing I've noticed, and am using as source ideas, though, especially with the secondary processing equipment, like the jointer for example, is that the way I've been magazine taught to do things is far from the best, most accurate, or fastest way to do things.  After a few 10,000 bdft of wood over the facer, it's clear that the conventional two handed, bowed ends to the table and slide techniques are completely inaccurate and twice as hard to do as the "correct" way.

Or the "Safe" push blocks that are more hazardous than anything, can be easily fixed by running a bunch of screws through them for cleats, essentially making them into snow tires.  Then they work great, never slip, and I can push forward, instead of down and forward.    

We also do it for the customers.  They like seeing equipment they've never seen before.  Everybody has seen a sawmill, but only a small percentage can look at a SLR and tell what it is.  Then they see the videos, and ask to see it in person and they break into a big grin, and say "Wow". Same thing with the edger and planer.  

YellowHammerisms:

Larry

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 10, 2022, 10:47:11 PM
After a few 10,000 bdft of wood over the facer, it's clear that the conventional two handed, bowed ends to the table and slide techniques are completely inaccurate and twice as hard to do as the "correct" way.

Or the "Safe" push blocks that are more hazardous than anything, can be easily fixed by running a bunch of screws through them for cleats, essentially making them into snow tires.  Then they work great, never slip, and I can push forward, instead of down and forward.    
Who would have thought?

I get a few in to buy a board or two that bring the kids to see the deer along side my driveway and to play with my dog, Hank.  I notice when they post a picture on facebook about their sawmill visit that Hank is in the picture and I'm not. :D

I enjoyed the videos and learned a thing or three, thanks for posting. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!