iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stickers

Started by Walnut Beast, February 13, 2022, 05:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Black walnut sap wood for stickers ? I'm thinking not a good choice. But I want your opinion. Thanks

doc henderson

I have had sap wood with quite a bit of color.  I think @YellowHammer and others have talked about steaming walnut to blend the color.  I have had sap wood be white next to the darker heartwood.  so, I think a very light sapwood could be used with walnut, but since there may be some color in it, not with maple, poplar, or other very light to white wood. 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I have often used outer boards, to cut stickers from the same log I am cutting.  not had any trouble, even if wet.  

all walnut sapwood bowl.  

other walnut with sapwood and varying color to the lighter wood.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I have used dark walnut stickers on walnut heartwood.  

doc henderson

Walnut Beast

I know bugs like the sap wood and it is more prone to moving so didn't know if it would be a good choice

beenthere

Should work as good as any wood, especially if dry. Might have questionable results if stickers were green.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Thanks. Looks I'll saw them up into stickers 👍

YellowHammer

I've never done it.  I can run and blend walnut colors fairly easily across the heartwood and sapwood, the walnut sap likes to bleed.  If you keep the temps cool it shouldn't be a problem, but I wouldn't use a sticker that had heartwood in it against any white wood.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

Happy birthday Robert!!!   8) 8) 8)

Al_Smith

It's been a while but I went around to the lumber yards and got dunnage boards for free that I cut into stickers .Had a couple paper barrels full at one time and a small mountain of saw dust .

Thank You Sponsors!