iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your thoughts on using this as a kiln

Started by Thumping D, May 12, 2021, 11:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumping D

I saw this building as being available locally.  I have read all the previous posts about the pitfalls of using uninsulated shipping containers as kilns and the obvious
importance of insulation in the kiln.  
The dimensions are 20x24 with a 10ft roll up door and on one end and a walk-through door on the other end.  It appears that the metal panels are painted on the inside and outside with 2 inches of foam between them.  I guess my primary question is whether or not you guys think it would hold up to the heat of the kiln and the corrosion of the tannins.  Thanks,
Darren
Darren Earle-Thumping D Portable Milling

Southside

So it's a big walk in.  You need to check the insulation to know for sure but likely it will not stand up to kiln temps.  Also the way those lock together and the metal sheeting on the inside won't stand up in a kiln environment.  I have a walk in, use it for dry storage, they are good for what they do, but as a kiln mine would fall apart very quickly.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thumping D

That's kinda what I was thinking.  I think I'll pass.  Thanks for the info.
Darren Earle-Thumping D Portable Milling

firefighter ontheside

That would be a very large kiln by itself.  You could possibly use it and build a separate chamber inside that is your actual kiln.  The rest of the space would be storage that would probably do a good job of keeping the lumber dry.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Because of the cost of energy, we can pay for 4" to 6" of insulation for the floor, roof, walls and doors.  Some folks say burning wood is free, but the grater the energy loss, the larger the burner.

I second the comment about temperature effects on styrofoam insulation.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!