iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large Beams

Started by boonesyard, May 28, 2021, 10:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

A local historical society is working on a large scale project and contacted us about cutting some large beams, 6"x12"x10' out of white pine. They requested them kiln dried, I told them kiln drying green pine that big and fast isn't realistic and would have a lot of degrade in them. I said I could sterilize, set the pitch and then they could install. My question, how long would it take to sterilize and set the pitch on large beams like that? Also, should I ramp it up to 160 right away, or slowly work my way up? I was thinking if I just set it at 160 right away, 6 days should get it done? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

Don P

Can you set pitch in a green timber?

Southside

@scsmith42 has dried large beams, perhaps he can offer some advice. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

boonesyard

Quote from: Don P on May 28, 2021, 09:22:46 PM
Can you set pitch in a green timber?
Well that was silly of me, timber would have to be dry to set the pitch. Then I guess the question is, how dry before the pitch can be set? And what's the best way to go about that?
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

scsmith42

We dried several thousand bd ft of 7" x 14" x34' SYP beams from green in an L200. It was a three month kiln run, but they dried down to 16% and passed grading by SPIB.

They had a couple of weeks of air drying first so as to minimize mold development during the first part of the kiln run.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

boonesyard

How did you handle your kiln run? 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

scsmith42

Quote from: boonesyard on May 30, 2021, 08:20:27 AM
How did you handle your kiln run?
I'm not sure what you're asking....

boonesyard

What kind of temp for how long? when and how much do you turn it up and for how long? I know you said it was about a 3 month kiln charge, was a low temp run for 3 months?

Thanks
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

scsmith42

I started the kiln run at 90F and 95% RH. Kept it there for around 2 weeks, then dropped to 90% RH for four weeks.  After that I started following Nyle's schedule for Group 4 hardwoods based upon MC% readings taken 2/3 of the way from the core to the shell with a slide hammer.

The beams were treated with Premier fungicide to retard mold development.

Stephen1

I dry beams all the time, pine 4x4 up to 8x8 10x10, 
The 4x4 took 4 weeks and came out at 7%
The 8x8 and larger never really dried, (4 week) The pine will show 10% on the surface 2" in with the probe. but when you cut them open they still 30%+ in the core. 

hardwood and pine mantles ( fireplace mantles) I mainly do it for sterilization. My customers like it, it also starts the drying process in that checking develops, especially in the pine. I just dried some 4" cherry FP mantles and they came out looking great. Still 20% with a full probe. I'll leave them in the shop to sell this fall/winter. 
I only run them  1 cycle (2 weeks) at full power and most of my customers are happy with it. 
They like that I sterilze them. NO BUGS
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

boonesyard

Thanks guys, I've been doing some large hardwood beams for mantles as well. Everything I've done had air dried for a good time, although a 6x9 mantle doesn't dry much in the core. We just finished a large black walnut mantle that turned out well, was in the kiln for 3 weeks but was still 25% when it was finished, owner was happy. Almost all of the big heavy stuff ends up with cracks/checks. I've tried low power for a couple weeks (125-130 deg) and then run it at 155-160 deg for a week and still get checking. I've decided that's just the nature of the beast when dealing with the heavy stuff, 4"+. The good thing is the customers I have looking for the heavy stuff are also looking for weathered, natural, and high contrast, so it works. Every day is like a big giant science project, love this stuff.  
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Thank You Sponsors!