iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing KD Lumber

Started by brad918, June 04, 2021, 09:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad918

Finally getting my kiln up and running. Looking for ideas on what you guys use for storing your KD lumber before being sold?

I'd love to put up an insulated/climate controlled pole building but worried about dropping that much coin. Probably need enough room for 5-8k bdft. 
WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

Ianab

The storage basically needs to be "sealed". Maybe not 100% airtight, but if it's open, then the wood is going to pick up moisture from the outside air that's passing by. Pretty soon it's going to be up to that 12%+ again, depending on where you live. Wood won't be harmed, but if you are selling "kiln dried", it should be down around 8%. 

It's not so much about the insulation or climate control, the wood can only pick up moisture if fresh air is carrying it in. The temperature (and even humidity) can go up and down as much as it likes, but the total amount of water in the room can't change unless fresh air is moving it in. 

An old shipping container would be OK, but they seem to be in short supply with the current freight issues. An old truck box might be another option for storage?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

It is so easy to cut lumber.  The challenge is to dry it properly and keep it dry properly. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Yes, sealed and bug tight.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

alan gage

I keep my air dried lumber in an old reefer trailer. I set it up with bunks and it's very handy and holds a lot. Humidity and condensation have not been an issue at all. I wouldn't hesitate to keep kiln dried lumber in their, especially if I had power available for a dehumidifier just to be safe.

As it is I tend to open the side and rear doors during dry weather and keep them closed during humid weather.

I need more storage now so was going to buy a 40' shipping container but have decided to add a lean-to to my drying shed that will closed in. Wouldn't be an option for kiln dried but should be fine for air dried.

A 40' shipping container with doors at each end and in the center would be about perfect.

This is how I installed bunks in the semi-reefer:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=111143.0

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Thank You Sponsors!