iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mold in the groove - green logs for log cabin

Started by Iommi, June 05, 2021, 04:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iommi

Hi guys,

I did search in old topics, but I couldn't find my answer.

I started building walls for my scandinavian log camp, with spruce trees I just fell and debarked a few weeks ago.

The appearance of the exterior of the walls are nice, but when I took out a log that was sitting on the walls since 2 weeks, I noticed mold on the surface of contact between the top log and the bottom one.

In other words, there was was already mold where the logs were touching each other. The humidity of the green logs where prabably trapped there, resulting in mold.

My question is: is there anything I can do to prevent molds ? I'm asking for the other logs that I will soon fall and debark ? (I know how to treat the mold, but I'm looking for a method to prevent it, cause I won't be able to remove it since it's in the groove, mold will stays inside the wall forever)

I don't have time to stack and dry the logs, and I'm aware that green logs will attract mold, but maybe there's a way to prevent it. I also know that falling trees in spring/summer is not the best, but it's my situation.

Thanks a lot, it's really appreciated.

barbender

Borates help, but mold in the long grooves is tough to prevent from what I've heard. Out of sight out of mind😊
Too many irons in the fire

Stephen1

I ws told by a local builder to spray lots of javex in the corners and along the groove when i built my cabin. I also sprayed lots of Borax. 
I built my cabin over 3 years in my bck yard, and took it apart to move it, so no mold. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Iommi

Quote from: Stephen1 on June 05, 2021, 09:04:17 PM
I ws told by a local builder to spray lots of javex in the corners and along the groove when i built my cabin. I also sprayed lots of Borax.
I built my cabin over 3 years in my bck yard, and took it apart to move it, so no mold.
You sprayed  it during  the construction,  just before  putting the upper log above ?

barbender

Borax will wash off in the rain, so I sprayed it in the groove and the top of the log beneath it, just before rolling the log into place. Just good ol' 20 Mule Team Borax, dissolved in water (it dissolves better in hot water) does the trick. Spray it on with a hand pump.

kantuckid

Along with the theme of this thread, I have some peeled pine, log ceiling joists in storage outside that will need to be cleaned eventually for use.
 I'd never heard of Javex so did some searching. It's 12% bleach and Lowe's doesn't sell it nor Walmart either-they do have the 8.25% version called Pro that I've used before. As I looked it seems that 12% is not so common and even the bleach sold as hospital strength is still just the more common 8%, strong version.
 What google did find is that liquid pool shock is 12% but lots more money too @ ~ $20 a jug.

The looming question is: Which is the better choice to not ruin the wood, economical and effective wise to clean a peeled log in storage for use or after it's in a wall? 

FWIW, lacking a pressure washer (I know full well about pressure washers and wood fibers) in past years I've used a garden hose to follow up a bucket of cleaner applied with what's called a dairy parlor brush on a long broom handle. And I still have my dairy brush after 40 years. Plastic oval head with stiff nylon bristles.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Iommi

Quote from: barbender on June 05, 2021, 10:48:45 PM
Borax will wash off in the rain, so I sprayed it in the groove and the top of the log beneath it, just before rolling the log into place. Just good ol' 20 Mule Team Borax, dissolved in water (it dissolves better in hot water) does the trick. Spray it on with a hand pump.
Tanks for the trick ! About what proportion do  you  dissolve  it ? 50-50 ?

barbender

I just kept adding it until it wouldn't dissolve anymore.

Iommi

Quote from: Iommi on June 05, 2021, 09:52:24 PM
You sprayed  it during  the construction,  just before  putting the upper log above ?
I don t want to be annoying but just to make sure, you put both the javex solution and the borax solution are just one of them ? Thanks  !

Stephen1

Quote from: Iommi on June 06, 2021, 08:35:06 PM
Quote from: Iommi on June 05, 2021, 09:52:24 PM
You sprayed  it during  the construction,  just before  putting the upper log above ?
I don t want to be annoying but just to make sure, you put both the javex solution and the borax solution are just one of them ? Thanks  !
I would spray them on seperate. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Don P

I'm not a real fan of using chlorine bleach on wood. It tends to pulp the surface and doesn't get to the root of the problem. I found this quick description;
Don't Clean your Wood Deck with Bleach! | Angi [Angie's List]

Stephen1

Quote from: Don P on June 06, 2021, 10:52:45 PM
I'm not a real fan of using chlorine bleach on wood. It tends to pulp the surface and doesn't get to the root of the problem. I found this quick description;
Don't Clean your Wood Deck with Bleach! | Angi [Angie's List]
I like that article. I will stay away from the bleach from now on. 

kantuckid

I bought a bulk amount of sodium percarbonate on ebay before I cleaned my log home in ~ 2015. It is "100% good stuff" and the main active ingredient in the magical Oxy-Clean featured in TV ads for years.
 As I recall Oxy-Clean has 10% of it as the goodie part, so this is, or can be far more powerful as a cleaner. It's not for kids no matter how much in solution. I have the ratio on my containers but forget it for now. 
I must admit that I'd forgotten that I still have quite a bit left to clean my peeled logs with as mentioned earlier. 
It goes a long ways in solution with hot water, so less expensive than most any other choices. 

It IS! the active ingredient in the link Don gives here. BTW, we don't have Angies list where I live :D It's every man for himself or find an old fart who still works. 

cabindoc

Quote from: kantuckid on June 07, 2021, 07:08:27 AM
I bought a bulk amount of sodium percarbonate on ebay before I cleaned my log home in ~ 2015. It is "100% good stuff" and the main active ingredient in the magical Oxy-Clean featured in TV ads for years.
As I recall Oxy-Clean has 10% of it as the goodie part, so this is, or can be far more powerful as a cleaner. It's not for kids no matter how much in solution. I have the ratio on my containers but forget it for now.
I must admit that I'd forgotten that I still have quite a bit left to clean my peeled logs with as mentioned earlier.
It goes a long ways in solution with hot water, so less expensive than most any other choices.

It IS! the active ingredient in the link Don gives here. BTW, we don't have Angies list where I live :D It's every man for himself or find an old fart who still works.
Using that on raw wood works well as brightening agent and cleans.  Not for use on house with stain unless you mix very light.  On raw wood where a house is being treated or readied for stain, we will clean with ...whatever...then apply borate solution while house/wall is still wet.  The water soaked wood draws the borate solution in.  then let dry for at least 2 days and then you can apply stain.  DO NOT over apply borate.  More is NOT better.  It will crystalize and leach out kill any stain you apply.
Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

kantuckid

Thank You Sponsors!