iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my first solar kiln

Started by etd66ss, June 14, 2021, 06:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Good progress. Thanks for the update. 

I painted the outside dark green. Absorbs heat pretty well but more attractive than black.

HM126

etd66ss

Quote from: btulloh on July 24, 2022, 04:24:06 PM
Good progress. Thanks for the update.

I painted the outside dark green. Absorbs heat pretty well but more attractive than black.
So with the walls insulated, I still want to paint the outside a color that absorbs heat?

btulloh

Not essential but does add some heat to the situation.  Depends on what you want it to look like too.  I liked the green because it made the kiln blend in with the landscape. 
HM126

doc henderson

It is looking very good.  remember that insulation slows the movement of heat.  so hotter outside means less of a gradient so less heat movement to the outside, so higher internal temps or more water evaporation.  I say or because if the heat is used to change water from liquid to gas, there is no increase in temp as the energy is used to do the "work" of the phase change.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

etd66ss

I went with a dark green:

doc henderson

does that green have a specific name, it is very classy with the black trim.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

etd66ss

Quote from: doc henderson on August 01, 2022, 06:14:30 PM
does that green have a specific name, it is very classy with the black trim.
I just went to Home Depot and got the cheapest exterior satin base they had, Gliden. Color is a Behr paint chip called North woods.

VB-Milling

@doc henderson amazing lumber stacks never cease to amaze me. Talk about precision. I'll get there one day.

Any update on the build @etd66ss ?
HM126

etd66ss

Quote from: VB-Milling on September 14, 2022, 09:00:47 AM
Any update on the build @etd66ss ?
Yeah, I have some new pics, will post when I get a chance. 

etd66ss

Was busy fixing up and selling my house, hoping to build this year, doubt the solar kiln will be ready to aid in the construction of my new home.

This is where the project is:

Still have to design the double folding doors I want to make, put in the soffit with vents. I also bought some circular vent louver covers for the interior that will cover those holes in the ceiling, hopefully to keep out wasps etc.

Also still need to design and build the wall to house the attic fans.

And I also might have to move this thing, as I have now decided that my Barndominum build will be in the area where the kiln now sits...  I calculate it already weighs about 4500 lbs.

Crusarius

It is amazing what you can do with some light rigging moving some heavy stuff. I have loaded and unloaded my vertical steel mill onto and off of my trailer a few times with nothing more than ratchet straps rollers and a pry bar. Never had any help to do it either.

What did you use for the translucent material? How thick?

etd66ss

Quote from: Crusarius on February 09, 2023, 10:12:56 AM
It is amazing what you can do with some light rigging moving some heavy stuff. I have loaded and unloaded my vertical steel mill onto and off of my trailer a few times with nothing more than ratchet straps rollers and a pry bar. Never had any help to do it either.

What did you use for the translucent material? How thick?
I only had one option local to me for the glazing: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tuftex-Multi-Wall-6mm-Panel-Clear-4-ft-x-8-ft-Corrugated-Polycarbonate-Plastic-Roof-Panel/1000689436
Shipping in 12ft lengths was cost-prohibitive hence the reason my kiln has a partial asphalt shingle roof. I had planned on 12ft glazing when I designed the kiln but COVID killed any chance I could afford the 12ft glazing, so had to augment my design to be able to afford the glazing...

Sod saw

Your kiln looks good.  They are a lot of work, more than folks might imagine while just looking at a completed operating one.

Is there any reason that you could not hang a sheet of clear or black plastic over the opening where the double doors are intended to go to keep some of the heat in?  It may be somewhat usable to dry some of your wood for the house build.  Not perfect, but usable.  Faster than straight air drying.

Plastic may also help keep rain off the floor.

I have enjoyed your photos, etc.

I moved a 10,000 lb boat, after a rebuild, with short pieces of 3 inch pipe, a pry bar and come-along.  Jacking and moving houses are shown on U-tube.  Those houses are much bigger than your kiln.  The principals are the same.  You have my "permission" to copy their ideas.

have fun with it.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

etd66ss

I found some more pictures on my phone:

Last couple pictures shows the vents & louvers I plan to use for airflow via the soffit. I don't plan to buy anything for the lower vents. I will just make sliders in my doors like most solar kilns have.

One adjustable butterfly vent on the outside of the kiln for every 2 louvers on the inside.

etd66ss

I had to move my kiln as I decided I want to build my Barndominium in that location:

Nebraska

I bet it likes the spot down by the pond better. A little closer and you could add a deck to fish off of, if it weren't for the loading and unloading thing. :) looks very good.

barbender

It looks like you had enough machine for the job👍😁
Too many irons in the fire

jpassardi

Yeah, too much of a machine is usually just about right...  smiley_thumbsup
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

etd66ss

Fully relocated/setup & leveled:

Now I just have to finish building it...

Thank You Sponsors!