iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can a 18" sq SYP post be kiln dried for a short period of time to help set sap ?

Started by Sedgehammer, July 02, 2021, 05:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Basically with any drying, if surface tension perpendicular to grain, caused by shrinkage of the shell over the swollen green core, exceeds tensile strength of the wood perp to grain (which is the weak direction in wood) checking begins. In a radical drying scenario like this one surface checking begins all over the timber. There would be many "tears" in the fabric of the wood. They wouldn't necessarily be all that apparent immediately, the core moisture would rise, swell the shell and close them but the tear has occurred. Later as the timber continues to dry those tears continue to enlarge and severe checking shows itself. Remilling won't cure that. Too aggressive a drying schedule or mishandling wood early on bites you later.

I sawed some white oak one time in early June. Clear, dry conditions, a highly refractory (check prone, low tension perp strength) species. I stickered onto my trailer then drove uncovered about 10 miles to deliver the wood. When I arrived it was all checked. I acknowledged my mistake to the farmer and luckily he was fine with it saying it was just fence boards. By the time we had unloaded, the moisture rose from the wet core to the dry surface. The checks closed and the wood appeared fine. No, the tears were there and just like the initial tear in fabric, hard to start but once begun it runs easily. I had ruined that lumber by mishandling it at high moisture.

cabindoc

Quote from: doc henderson on July 08, 2021, 10:45:57 AM
that said, you can make them oversized, and saw down to size after.  if possible.
Definitely!  even an inch bigger.  
Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

K-Guy

Quote from: Sedgehammer on July 08, 2021, 09:04:29 PMdon't the more beat up and twisted the better to a point, but don't want to ruin the integrity of the post either

That character you are talking about often weakens the wood.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Sedgehammer

Quote from: K-Guy on July 09, 2021, 08:19:03 AM
Quote from: Sedgehammer on July 08, 2021, 09:04:29 PMdon't the more beat up and twisted the better to a point, but don't want to ruin the integrity of the post either

That character you are talking about often weakens the wood.
Yes it does. I like some of that, but not too much due to what you mentioned
Necessity is the engine of drive

doc henderson

so what did you find in an 18 inch square size?  any pics of these beams.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Sedgehammer

Quote from: doc henderson on July 09, 2021, 08:59:39 AM
so what did you find in an 18 inch square size?  any pics of these beams.
SYP. Picking up in a couple of weeks or so
Necessity is the engine of drive

cabindoc

Since it has not been brought up, ask the seller of your big beams when the tree was felled.  If cut down in winter months, sap will be down and will be minimal.  If cut down summer months, sap will be plentiful and you will likely get sap all over yourself just handling the beam.   We expect pics when u pick it up.....just sayin..... 
Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Thank You Sponsors!