iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Powder post beetle?

Started by D6c, July 06, 2021, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Have a chunk of ash slab that I'm going to make into a bench.  Just noticed it's got about a half dozen holes a little over an ⅛" in dia.  in the face.
Is ash prone to beetle in air drying stack?

Larry

Too big of hole for PPB.  Probably a bug that likes wet wood and has already left as the wood dries.  PPB will eat ash as it air drys.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cabindoc

If you set pitch, whatever it is will be cooked off anyway...
Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The bad PPB is the lyctid PPB, while the ambrosia PPB will attack ash during air drying, but not dry ash.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

farmfromkansas

Last ash I sawed, used solubor to treat the boards.  Used an old Fry Daddy to heat the water and dumped the solubor powder into the hot water to mix it.  Mix was clear soon after mixing it.  Only turned the fry daddy up to 250 to make it hot enough to mix.  Then I used a roller pan to hold the mix and a roller frame and pad to soak the boards. Yes it is a bit of a pain, but worth it to keep the ppb out of my lumber.  Last time I sawed ash, the insects ruined it.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Don P

I just use warm tap water, when available. I'll end up with creek water before the day is over tomorrow I suspect. If I don't hit poplar right off the saw this time of year they'll be in it by the next morning.

D6c

Yikes....sounds like I need to check the ash I have air drying.

Thank You Sponsors!