iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need recomendation for moisture meter

Started by cabindoc, August 01, 2021, 09:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabindoc

I am looking for ideas for a better moisture meter.  I have an inexpensive unit with short pins.  Looking for the type that has or can accommodate multiple leads and has different depths.  Since I dry boards and beams, sometimes at the same time, I'm looking to be able to set some probes 3-4" deep as well as short pins.  Not looking to spend more than $500 if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scott  aka cabindoc  aka logologist at large
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

doc henderson

click on the nyle link above (sponsor) and look at Delmhorst.  under moisture meter in the store.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

scsmith42

A Delmhorst J2000X with the optional slide hammer attachment is pretty much a standard amongst a lot of kiln operators.

You can buy this combination from the great folks at Nyle, one of our sponsors.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

doc henderson

I use some of the pinless, but they are now over 500 bucks as well
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

cabindoc

thanx guys.  I have been reading up in the Delmhorst and thought that was going to be the answer, but I was wrong once before....I did not know that Nyle sold them.  Thank you for that.
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

japarker4

YellowHammer

You can also get them at Amazon, and used ones on Ebay.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KenMac

I also use the Delmhorst J2000. I don't have a bunch of experience with it yet but most everyone agrees it's the best going right now. Get extra pins for the slide hammer unit.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

cabindoc

YEP  Placed order for the J2000 from the fine folks at Nyle.  Stan is the best!!  Thanx ALL!!
Woodmiser LT35 hyd
Kabota MX5400

Walnut Beast

It's on the way with the slide hammer package! It's the J 2000 on steroids! 

WDH

I need an app for my Delmhorst J2000X :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

Delmhorst G-30, analog scale, slide hammer w/3" insulated pins. It's about 40 years old, has bounced around the country multiple times and still reads pretty much right on with the kiln's meter. The shops I worked in mostly had the nice old wood cased RC-1's. They were fine meters and I'd still prefer one just because of the packaging  :D

Tom King

Quote from: Don P on June 22, 2022, 09:50:01 PM
Delmhorst G-30, analog scale, slide hammer w/3" insulated pins. It's about 40 years old, has bounced around the country multiple times and still reads pretty much right on with the kiln's meter. The shops I worked in mostly had the nice old wood cased RC-1's. They were fine meters and I'd still prefer one just because of the packaging  :D
I think that's the same Delmhorst model as mine, but mine may be a previous model.  I know I bought it in the 1970's.  It still works great.  I never leave a 9V battery in it.

Sod saw

WDH,

How do you set it up in your kiln?  Do you open the doors each time to take a reading or perhaps you leave the pins in the wood with the cord hanging outside the kiln? 

Or some other way?

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

WDH

I open the doors and take readings.  I do not leave the pins in the wood.  The main thing is that I monitor the water coming out of the kiln so I know when it is time to check the moisture content with the meter.  I can tell from the amount of water coming out and the wet bulb depression when the load is ready and taking the moisture content with the moisture meter is just a verification check.  

Walnut Beast

Quote from: WDH on June 22, 2022, 08:27:45 PM
I need an app for my Delmhorst J2000X :).
The new ones are out there and people seem to really like them. Try and find one of them on Ebay 

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Out with the old and in with the new. The new kid on the block 😂

WDH

K-Guy

When I asked Delmhorst about their new models, they recommended the JX-30 for kiln owners.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

burdman_22

question about the slide hammer moisture meters....do they leave a noticeable hole? I assume when you test something you need to test in a few different spots.....I worry about the holes showing after flattening and sanding.

Larry

Yes, they leave holes, quite like a natural bug hole! 

In the kiln about the only access is the side of the board so the holes may not show in the finished project.  4/4 I normally check MC with oven samples and don't use the pin meter.  I'll random check with my Wagner pinless.  Thicker stuff I'll use the J2000.  When drying a load in the kiln I might check in four spots on the back and front side of the load.  I'll mark the first place I check and drive the pins back into the same holes for a second or third reading.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!