iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's behind kiln door number 2?

Started by Larry, August 20, 2021, 03:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

This is door number one.

This is door number two.  It gets filled with friction fitted rigid foam board.  Sheathed on the back side with plywood and on the outside with tin.  Objective was to keep the door as light as possible and still strong enough to do the job.

The only hinges I liked were very expensive so I made my own.

I made the door opening square to within a few thousandths, :D :D :D :D but just in case of small error I used hot melt glue and some thin sticks to make a square that fit the opening perfect.  Than I used the square to align the door......within a few thousandths. :D

Hope the doors don't sag.  Still thinking of good seals.  I thought maybe using fire hose and making a pneumatic seal.  Maybe closed cell foam would be easier, and cheaper.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WDH

Nyle has a seal kit.  Expensive, but very effective.  After 8years, my kiln doors still seal well. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

longtime lurker

(1)fit a jockey wheel to the door if you're worried about sag. Best seals in the world won't hold heat if door sag means the door isn't in full contact with the seal.

(2) What Danny said on the seals. Next time around I'd just use pinch weld but the seal that came from Nyle has been both effective and durable for the best part of a decade.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!