iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood under snow

Started by maineshops, March 11, 2022, 08:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maineshops

Will firewood lengths dry under the snow? I may run short in my wood sheds. Dan northern Maine 
Phil:4, 13

Nathan4104

In a nutshell, no. 
Mix it with your dry stuff to get you through.  

doc henderson

If it was already dry, I have had no problem clunking off the snow, and burning in the stove.  if the snow stays on and melts, it will add moisture, but not usually unburnable.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hilltop366

Like Doc says if the wood is already dry.

I keep most of my wood outside dumped in a pile on pallets (not stacked) so the wood will dry out easier if it gets wet (more air space than stacked) and snow is not usually a problem if it knocks off but sometimes if it has rained or froze on the wood I have to go down a layer or two to get the dryer stuff.

cutterboy

Do you have room by your stove to stack some of that outside wood? A week inside by the stove can dry the wood quite a bit and add moisture to the inside of the house.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

maineshops

All good information as usual. Thanks much. I do have space in the basement to let it set for a spell before I load it in the boiler. Will the wetter wood ad a creosote issue?

cutterboy

Quote from: maineshops on March 12, 2022, 08:29:01 AM
 Will the wetter wood ad a creosote issue?
A slow burning smoldering fire will tend to allow creosote to form in the chimney. A hot fire does not. If the wood is so wet that it slows the fire down to a smolder you could have a problem. However, if the wood is dry enough to allow a hot fire then you should be good to go.
It is not the water itself in the wood that causes creosote buildup, it is that the water in the wood prevents a hot fire.

maineshops

Thanks cutterboy how should I burn in spring when I don't really need a hot fire? Burn hot with less fuel and tend more often ? 

beenthere

Quote from: maineshops on March 13, 2022, 09:29:33 AM
Thanks cutterboy how should I burn in spring when I don't really need a hot fire? Burn hot with less fuel and tend more often ?
Yes
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

cutterboy

Quote from: maineshops on March 13, 2022, 09:29:33 AM
As beenthere said, "yes". Spring can be a chalenging time for those of us who heat with wood. The house is too hot so open the windows. The house is too cold so shut the windows and add wood to the fire. Now the house is too hot again, etc. etc. Spring is also the time there is an increase of chimney fires. Ask any fireman. Because people tend to keep there fires low. It might be a good idea to clean your chimney about now.

doc henderson

we turn the thermostat down about 3° less than we like it (67°), so we start a fire if we are cold.  we always let the fire get going burning off the water with enough heat and steam to rush it out the chimney.  we close the bedroom doors, so it is not too warm to sleep.  If we want a fire to burn all night, we stack the stove to the top, let it get roaring, then choke it down.  hardly ever much build no in the chimney, just know stuff off the bird guard once a year.  we have double wall in the house, so things do not cool down till they het the cap.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Sauna freak

Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

SwampDonkey

Between wood cut in 2020, last spring and summer and last fall, I had 18 cords going in, 10-1/2 dried or seasoned. I've still got 4-1/2 dry, and 7-1/2 under snow to be stacked and dried this summer for next winter. When you think you have enough, add two more cords. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Depends what you are talking about, cut stacked or still on the ground under snow .Stacked but not covered .On that it will will burn but is best to move the top layer off and set aside for later use .On the ground it will suck up moisture and mud on the bottom but will burn but not well .I dealt with that all this winter .

maineshops

Thanks for the tips. All good information. I just have to sort out what I usable for this 81. Yr old body. I have three woodsheds so I can store most of my wood under roof. Hay stacking looks good but a lot of extra work. 

SwampDonkey

It's work, but I stack all my wood off that spring pile (7-1/2 cords) in a day or two, just spreading the work out. 2 or even 4 days stacking in a year is cheap. Don't have to work yourself to death in a one day whirl wind muster. ;) I'm lucky here, everything goes under the shelter of the porch (has a roof) or in a bin petitioned in the basement that I wheel through the door, 42" door. In the old house, everything had to be thrown in a window hole into the basement. A lot more work involved. With a wheel barrel I pick it off the ground once. I usually cut 2 or 3 more extra cord in spring. Then in fall I cut next year's wood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

a good tip for anyone with the little 1 x 3 basement window that tips in, and can come out.  get and old treadmill and set in front of the window.  just toss the wood on, and it will go through the window at the set speed and should land in a nice pile in the basement.  they get them for the holidays, quit using them about the first of the year, garage sale in the spring.   ;) :)

Al_Smith

On a normal winter I have the wood tarp covered I can back a trailer up real close and get a load which will last me a week if it's good wood .Parked right outside my garage door takes maybr15 minutes a day to fill up my wood box which will last over a day .I normally have some oak for over night fires because nothing I know of coals up like oak .Well those plans just didn't work out this year .I hope for better results this next winter .

Wood Shed

Before I had my woodshed I too used a tarp (old swimming pool cover) too keep the snow off the wood.  Nothing worse than firewood covered with snow and ice.  

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

Al_Smith

That stacked wood can provide amusement  .The squirrels and chipmunks like to hid nuts between the pieces .Then in the morning the red tail hawks attempt to get them for breakfast .They are not usually successful in that endeavor . 

maineshops

Snow is off the top of the wood that was delivered last fall I'm mixing it in with some from the wood shed and Otis working just fine in the boiler.

Thank You Sponsors!