iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help from folks on an Internet Relay Chat network

Started by SwampDonkey, April 24, 2005, 07:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yesterday I was having troubles retrieving map tiles off www.snb.ca website, on my dialup. I frequent an internet relay chat forum at irc.amigaworld.net , which is a group of computer enthuseists, who use Linux, PC, Mac and Amiga hardware/software. I needed someone with a highspeed connection to try and snag the map tiles, which were 2.5 meg MrSID files. Well with their help in snagging the files then emailing/them to my yahoo account I could get the tiles I needed. The guys were quite patient as that website was a pain in the butt and depending on what browser they used they may not see the entire table to download the tiles from and some browsers would get a server reset just before the file completly d/l'ed.  We found out the server was Windows 2003 SERVER and obviously had some setup issues that need to be resolved. I've emailed them at SNB before, to my knowledge they haven't resolved anything. Any of you guys with fast conections can try snagging one of the MrSID files. We had success with Firefox on PC and under Linux.

Try snagging Row 3, second file to test
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tnlogger

swamp it works ok for me at least on that file. firefox on pc.
If you need some let me know be glad to snatch em for ya.  ;D
gene

SwampDonkey

Thanks tnlogger,

I'll keep that in mind.  ;D ;)  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Steve

sd

I got it. Where can I send it?

Steve

an old Amiga user

I sent it to you Konsulting address. HOpe that was alright?
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

SwampDonkey

:D :D Steve,

It was a 'test file' to see if you could retrieve it off the SNB site, but didn't want anyone to email it.  ;D  I would only ask in an 'Instant Message' if I wanted it sent to me. Thanks Steve, sorry for the misunderstanding.  ;)

For everyone to see....

Please do not send me this file
;D ;) :)

Steve

Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

SwampDonkey

No problemo Steve  ;D

Just to let everyone know, I had good success with retrieving the map tiles and the GIS maps I was designing are almost complete.  :)

cheers

Doc

I didn't think there were any other Linux users in the FF!

I don't feel so alone now!

Doc

SwampDonkey

Doc,

I'm not on Linux, just some buds on irc.Amigaworld.net . Some of them run the irc network over there and they have networking-type jobs during the day.  ;)

Doc

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 26, 2005, 05:57:29 AM
Doc,

I'm not on Linux, just some buds on irc.Amigaworld.net . Some of them run the irc network over there and they have networking-type jobs during the day.  ;)

I have the same kind of job....sort of.

You should try Linux. I prefer it over windows hands down. There is a learning curve, but you survived windows crashing in the middle of stuff, so Linux (won't crash in the middle of stuff) will be a breeze.

I have been looking for an old amiga to toy with. May have to contact you about a sales list.

Doc

SwampDonkey

Doc,
They have a new uA1C G4 and A1 XE G3 and G4, both PPC based, Amiga by Eyetech.com with a new updated OS 4.0, also comes with a Linux distribution so you can dual boot, either Linux or Amiga OS4.0. The OS is still being beta tested. There are Amiga's for sale all the time on ebay.com . There is no G5 based Amiga yet, as Apple hogs all the chips. ;)  There are also PPC upgrades to the old Amiga classics. The Amiga lacks a decent web browser and office suite at the moment. Development has been quite slow for new commercial software, since it's a very small user base.

Go to www.amigaworld.net for information on Amiga and the new hardware/software.

Thank You Sponsors!