Sponsors:

Worst tree form

Started by nativewolf, April 06, 2022, 07:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Sprucebunny and cutterboy you guys have some wild ones 👍

beenthere

Quote from: Peter Drouin on April 19, 2022, 05:51:45 AM
I have W Pines around here with the 2 to 4 stems. All done by a bug a weble I know I did not spell that right.
They eat the top sprout, then the next branch takes over and goes up.
White pine weevil I suspect. Takes out the terminal bud.

Had similar problem with black walnut seedlings that I planted in '71. 
Was a borer (similar to the corn borer) and laid an egg in the terminal bud. When hatched, the larvae bored into the pith and ate the terminal growth from the inside out. Such that the terminal dominant leader died after a month and the other branches took over the spot. 
Was a mystery to the experts. 
I sprayed the plantation with a systemic (Sevin I think) and wiped them out. The following spring, there was a gathering of half a dozen experts meeting in southern WI with a field trip planned just to see this critter at work. They were very disappointed when they could not find a single one in the 800 walnut trees. That was when I explained that I sprayed the plantation the year before. (but I was happy) 
But the borer left nearly every walnut tree with a crooked stem that can be seen to this day (50+ years later). 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wisconsitom

Yeah no doubt white pine weevil.  Anyone looking to control this pest, you can time your application of bifenthrin or other pyethroid plus sticker with blooming of forsythia bush in your area.  Good control can be achieved if you're able to do all or most of your young stock, up to about 15 feet height.

Only leader and anything that's trying to be a competing leader need be sprayed.  Not whole tree.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Ed_K

Here's a w/pine that split into two trees then grew back together then split again.

Look just above the hole, it's one bole at that point.
Ed K

Walnut Beast

Pretty cool Ed. It's pretty amazing of the trees coming back from injury and survival plus the crazy odd ball stuff in nature 

Ljohnsaw

This poor incense cedar is in the campground next to my cabin property.

I have a cedar that I sliced up that had something similar but much smaller/less dramatic in the early growth that could not be seen from the outside of the mature log.  I slabbed it up and will make an interesting table top.

Look at the pith crack and just to the left of center in the picture the pith makes a 90° turn towards you, corrects as it goes to the left (top of tree).  There is just the subtle bend in the trunk.  I cut this 5' section off the butt of a log that became a deck beam.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

barbender

I've been surprised by how a lot of red oak I've sawn, looks to have poor form in it's early growth but as the tree matures it really smooths and straightens itself out.
Too many irons in the fire

ehp

There is so much that goes into this lots do not even think about , I find the ground the tree grows on makes a very big difference as here if I travel say 30 miles east, north or west I get back into clay and the wood is totally different , on clay we get alot more defects , rot on the stumps and in most cases a shorter tree and the timber just is not as high of quality , I find heading east from here is the worst thou.  The rejects need to be cut to get them out of the stand and leave some of the best to use their seeds to grow nice high grade trees .  Money drives everything so some just think of now not 15 or 20 years down the road 

Walnut Beast

Hackberry and Ash lovers

Treeflea24

Here's my cherry of a cherry. Its convinced a walnut on the left to try to meet it half way.

-

g_man

Here's a nice 28" HM

gg

Log-it-up

A couple inner tubes and with the right wind you could launch a pumpkin into Canada looks like a giant sling shot

cutterboy

Quote from: Log-it-up on May 11, 2022, 11:24:38 PM
A couple inner tubes and with the right wind you could launch a pumpkin into Canada looks like a giant sling shot
:D :D :D :D
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

g_man

Quote from: Log-it-up on May 11, 2022, 11:24:38 PM
Indeed it does   :D :D

WDH

I am sure that @Metalspinner will give it a try :D.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Andries

Lat: 49
Long: 94
Fire when ready.
I have a catchers mitt.
🪖
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ljohnsaw

Ran across this old picture when posting to another thread.  Maybe not good for saw logs but great for looking at:

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Otis1

This one is at my shop. About 48" dbh and 90' tall

wisconsitom

Man Otis 1, that's one urgly pine.  My arms and back hurt just looking at all those limbs.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

jimbarry

There's two like this by our house.

jimbarry

Another on our property line.

jimbarry

cutterboy

This is an old picture. The tree has since fallen over, been cut up for firewood and burned in my wood stoves.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

customsawyer

Andries once we walk it in with proper trajectory and distance of pull on said inner tubes, we will then fire at will. Your job at that time is to find us some one named Will.  
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!