The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: 646 valmet  (Read 2772 times)

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: 646 valmet
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2022, 09:11:27 AM »
you have my #   stick boom is adjustable its on the top of stick boom square block with a screw. that controls how fast it drops. if the controls leak even a little buy the orings and rebuild its easy. on the stick and bucket rotate how far back are you pulling the joy stick mount?? more than straight across it will act as you describe. if that dose not cure it rebuild joy sticks its cheap if still not right start pulling shuttle valves. shuttle o rings are about the only thing that bothers on these. 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2022, 09:29:43 AM »
you have my #   stick boom is adjustable its on the top of stick boom square block with a screw. that controls how fast it drops. if the controls leak even a little buy the orings and rebuild its easy. on the stick and bucket rotate how far back are you pulling the joy stick mount?? more than straight across it will act as you describe. if that dose not cure it rebuild joy sticks its cheap if still not right start pulling shuttle valves. shuttle o rings are about the only thing that bothers on these.
I seen that. Thank you very much. I hate to call someone on my problems. But I may someday lol And at least on here you can look on your own time and maybe it will help someone else in the future. Ill look into the screw adjustment Monday. 

Offline snowstorm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2022, 09:42:13 AM »
but i hate to type

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2022, 10:12:59 AM »
😆 ok. 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2022, 05:23:28 PM »
Well my boggie bearings are showing small signs of wear. Im thinking now of just rebuilding it all while the weather is nice. I have the parts manual but it is not very detailed. Was just looking for any insight on these machines. They dont appear to be the same as the newer forwarder with the large bearing. These have two smaller tapered wheel bearings that run in oil. Or at least thats what my book shows. Just curious whats out there thanks. 

Offline nativewolf

• Senior Member x2
  • Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2022, 10:08:36 PM »
curious as to how this goes, please keep us updated.
Liking Walnut

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2022, 06:46:45 AM »
I was hoping someone would have the parts numbers so I didnt have to order through the dealer. Its usually almost half price if I can order from a bearing supplier. But Im waiting on a phone call. Just order it all I guess 🤷‍♂️

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2022, 07:37:23 PM »
Bearings and seals are over $8,000. Ouch. Thats also the two inside bearings. Im getting just the seals and see what I can do after its apart. 

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2022, 08:20:01 PM »
If you can afford the downtime tear it apart and get numbers/dimensions off the bearings/seals and shop around. 

Just last week I priced wheel bearings, axle bearings and all the seals for the front of a New Holland tractor. 4k bucks from the dealer. Customer didn't need it asap so I tore it apart got bearing numbers off everything. Ordered Timken bearings and National Seals from an online supplier for under 1k bucks shipped to the shop in 2 days. Well worth the time shopping around.

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2022, 09:18:54 PM »
If you can afford the downtime tear it apart and get numbers/dimensions off the bearings/seals and shop around.

Just last week I priced wheel bearings, axle bearings and all the seals for the front of a New Holland tractor. 4k bucks from the dealer. Customer didn't need it asap so I tore it apart got bearing numbers off everything. Ordered Timken bearings and National Seals from an online supplier for under 1k bucks shipped to the shop in 2 days. Well worth the time shopping around.
Thats the plan. To many times now Ive found the markup on this stuff is out of control. It looks like it has 5 shims according to my parts book. Id like to get my own eye on it anyways and maybe it can just have new seals and preload reset. Ill just run harvester and have the forwarder down over a long weekend I hope. I told myself to stay away from bogies for this reason but the double bunk and even the bogies are growing on me for many reasons. 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 09:43:25 PM »
I have the itch for new equipment but the money just isnt there. 

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 11:00:13 PM »
As much as I'd like some new/newer farm equipment and in my case the money is there I feel now is not the time to upgrade unless absolutely necessary. So ill sit on my money and see what the next year or two brings. 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2022, 06:37:29 AM »
As much as I'd like some new/newer farm equipment and in my case the money is there I feel now is not the time to upgrade unless absolutely necessary. So ill sit on my money and see what the next year or two brings.
Well I dont have a million for a new set up. 😂 but what I mostly mean by the money isnt there is Id have to cut an additional 14-15 loads per month just to cover the payments. Of which would be possible but then theres no gain anyways. Even with down time and parts I dont spend no where near what these guys do per month with new iron. Then the first year or so there may be no down time but it will come and will still have that payment. 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2022, 09:41:39 PM »
What a day. Finished another quick load of logs and pulled the bogie axle out. Headed home and tore it apart. Easy getting out of machine. 1 1/2 hours I was on the road with it. Tearing it down wasnt so easy. Heavy parts for one man to do alone. But I got it. Will need some bearings. Never seen a plain bearing like this.

Offline BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2022, 10:07:14 PM »
How do you know when a bogie is going bad or what are you routinely checking ? 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2022, 10:14:17 PM »
First sign is wet. The new ones have grease so its not as easy. But you should jack them up and check for movement. If you run it to long stuff gets real expensive real fast. This one is a lot different. It runs in oil. Oil in the center diff, oil in the axle tube (which is what Is in my pic that holds the bearings) and oil in the bogie frame/walking beam whatever you want to call it. All three are sealed and oiled separate. Kinda dumb I think. But these bearings appear to me much cheaper than the new style. 

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2022, 09:08:00 PM »
Well I think the classic bogie bearing monster bite me. So much for a cheap forwarder. I have one more try tomorrow otherwise two bearings are going to be about $6k plus shipping. Which is still cheaper than say a Deere 1010 but I think that style of bearing is much better built. 

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2022, 09:27:49 PM »
I've heard of the bearings for Ponsse bogies being $15K, and that's been a few years ago.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2022, 09:32:58 PM »
I did the boggie pivot bearings in a Ponsse Buffalo and the parts were around 10k. They also had 32k hours on them.

Years ago when we had to do them in the Ergo I was running they were some oddball parts and crazy expensive, then the ring and pinion blew so it was cheaper to source a newer axle/boggie assembly with the "cheaper" parts.

Offline Firewoodjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Im getting old
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2022, 03:54:22 PM »
Shes back to skidding wood. Nothing $8k in parts cant fix lol better work now, I just cut all last week. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Anybody run a Valmet 911.1?

Started by chevytaHOE5674 on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 09:20:40 AM
by Gary_C
xx
valmet 445

Started by treefarmer87 on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 07:05:46 PM
by tyb525