iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help! I have to move a massive log up a hill

Started by wernerbrandes, May 14, 2022, 02:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wernerbrandes

Quote from: Machinebuilder on May 17, 2022, 09:42:51 AM
I would not move it until you figure out what you are going to do with it.

I have a couple similar sized red oak logs along my field. They will probably lay there and rot over the next couple decades.
They are too heavy for me to move with the equipment I have, and too big for my sawmill.

There is a Lucas swing mill in the for sale section...................
I've just discovered there is a guy only a few miles away from me who is on the Peterson owners directory, and it says he has a Peterson All Terrain Sawmill. With my luck, he probably retired and sold off his mill, but maybe I've just found a solution!

Stephen1

I move big logs all the time with a Tilt Deck Tow truck. I have customers like you that want to save their tree. . I have a local Towing Company that goes and gets  the logs for me. He will load up to 3 logs. I have found a log he cant load yet. His winch is 20,000 lbs. One time he broke the cable on a log, he thanked me as he says better to break the cable on a log than a mercedes. 
Can you back a Truck up the end of the log? That will solve your problem, they hook their winch to the end, tilt the deck and drag the log up onto the deck. 
Its all about the Hydraulics, that is the number 1 thing I have learned here on the FF 8)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

wernerbrandes

Quote from: Stephen1 on May 17, 2022, 12:28:32 PM
I move big logs all the time with a Tilt Deck Tow truck. I have customers like you that want to save their tree. . I have a local Towing Company that goes and gets  the logs for me. He will load up to 3 logs. I have found a log he cant load yet. His winch is 20,000 lbs. One time he broke the cable on a log, he thanked me as he says better to break the cable on a log than a mercedes.
Can you back a Truck up the end of the log? That will solve your problem, they hook their winch to the end, tilt the deck and drag the log up onto the deck.
Its all about the Hydraulics, that is the number 1 thing I have learned here on the FF 8)
Makes sense, indeed. If I were to do this, the truck would have to drive down the hill, load up, and drive back up. But it'd be doable.
What do you think I should expect to pay a local towing company for something like this?

Stephen1

I ussually pay around the $125 to start and then if there is any distance involved he will add mileage. 
My numbers are in Canadian dollars and I use him regularly. 
As long as the hill is not steep and dry you should be okay. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

doc henderson

shorten it or cut it in half length wise or both.  It would not fit on my mill with a 36.5 inch gantry and a 32 inch cut throat.  it will be easier to move, except for rolling if you split it down the middle.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!