iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sam Maloof style bench

Started by Larry, July 11, 2022, 10:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Spooling up a big shaper to 10,000 rpm to shape a part with a Byrd Shellix head is always a thrill. I'm making a small Sam Maloof style leather laced bench. Started with the side rails. They have two tenons, two rectangular mortises, two round mortises at a 4 degree angle to splay the legs, 21 holes for leather lacing, a slot to hide the leather lacing, and are shaped with curves on three sides. Plus each step has to be completed in the right sequence.  No plans and I'm just sorta guessing on how everything fits. Not simple parts.

Finished all the parts for the actual seat and got it glued up. Its rough shaped and sanded now. I'll finish sanding when I get the legs made and installed.

This first one is cherry but I made templates for the parts and probably will make another in walnut as Sam would have done.

This is my first Maloof style project and has made me more deeply realize why Sam was such a respected and admired wood worker. I don't think the man had many straight lines in him.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

The legacy lives on. Quote "The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

aigheadish

Well, that shaper is one of the scariest looking tools I've ever seen. 

Beautiful stuff, as always, Larry!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Larry, you are a man that likes a challenge!  I am keenly interested in this build.  You continue to amaze me. 

Here is a Maloof style rocker made by one of my customers. The seat and chair back have to be carved from thick pieces.  The curved horizontal back piece requires a very thick piece, like 16/4.  

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

That rocker is beautiful.  The folks that can make them are far above my level but I'm learning as I go.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

GAB

Quote from: Larry on July 12, 2022, 10:41:37 AM
That rocker is beautiful.  The folks that can make them are far above my level but I'm learning as I go.
IF, I tried to do something like that I'm sure I would have a lot of very expensive firewood on my hands.
You are many pay grades above my level.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

firefighter ontheside

This is awesome.  Great work.  Looking at what you're doing here, you can most certainly handle a Maloof style rocker.  I like the Maloof leg joint and have used it to make some dining chairs for my parents.  I made a rocker and it sits in my bedroom.  I don't think I will ever make another.  I don't have that kind of time anymore.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

metalspinner

What a challenge!
Looking great so far. Can't wait for more progress pics. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Larry

I've turned the legs and cut the stretchers.  Pretty straight forward mortise and tenon stuff.

I'm working on fairing the joints to rough fit before I glue up.  After glue up I'll finish to get a perfect fit (I hope).  Pretty new to this work.  I start with a Holy Galahad 4-1/2" disc for a right angle grinder.  When I get close, I switch to my ROS with 40 grit.  Fair in the curves with a 1" diameter sanding drum in a cordless drill.  You can see in the picture its really rough. 

Ordered the leather lacing for the seat from Amazon.....$75 but I can spurge as diesel drop below $5 today!

kantuckid

Lacing cost could be much less if you'd cut your own. I did leatherwork for some years and used a lace cutter on scraps. A typical way is to cut the edge off a circle in a spiral fashion until there's no more left. This can also be done with careful use of leather shears. Ebay is a great source for leather. Mine was all pre web sales and bought from leather tanners by the side mostly depending on the end use. Back in the 1970's Berman Leather in MA was a favorite source. Google tells me they still exist 5 generations later. 
I made a portfolio case for a college professor in the mid 1970's from their leather and recently heard he still has it. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Larry

Got this one done.

Its pretty comfortable to sit on, have it in a entryway where I stop to pull off my boots.  We have a strong maker movement here and will probably take it to one of our events to see what kind of interest it generates.

There is a little back story that I put on our maker forum.

This little bench can tell a story. The black cherry tree began life on a farm outside Rogers Arkansas around 1948. The tree grew straight and tall. In the later third of its life it found its self on the Pinnacle Hills Golf course. I wonder which hole it oversaw? In October 2019 a tornado went through Rogers and the golf course ending the life of the tree. I had the opportunity to get some of the logs from this beautiful tree. I sawed the logs into lumber and dried it. I have been giving new life to the tree for about a year now. I hope my creations last for a very long time and give pleasure to the folks that have them.

WDH

The joinery is outstanding.  Looks like professional photography, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

That is a great job there, well done!  I would be afraid to set down on it and stress the leather straps!  You did a great job with the construction, weaving and finish.

SwampDonkey

Great entry bench, nice work. Like WDH said on the photography. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DWyatt

As usual Larry, your work is absolutely stunning. Your impeccable attention to detail on these projects may not be noticed by the passerby, but as a woodworker, I appreciate every detail. 

aigheadish

That's really lovely Larry, well done! How is the leather held in there?

Is the maker forum you speak of a public internet thing? I'm interested to learn more...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

WV Sawmiller

Looking back at that rocker reminds me of Mel Gibson and the scene on The Patriot. :D

The Patriot - Chair Fart - Bing video

I trust yours held up better. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 21, 2022, 09:18:13 PM
Great entry bench, nice work. Like WDH said on the photography. ;)
It's an outstanding entry bench, but by no means and entry level bench :D ;D. I would need to work at the skills for another 25 years before I would consider trying this. That's gotta be a $1,500. piece if you sell it, and the buyer will have something very worthwhile to hand down through generations.
 I have bought and been reading the Maloof book since you recommended it Larry, but frankly I am very intimidated. Simple designs (in most cases) with complex joints, blends and skills. I'll be studying for a while before I even try to include one element in anything I make.
 Beautiful work indeed.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Larry

Quote from: aigheadish on July 22, 2022, 06:41:58 AM
That's really lovely Larry, well done! How is the leather held in there?

Is the maker forum you speak of a public internet thing? I'm interested to learn more...
The leather is wedged in place with a little walnut dowel from below.  Drop of epoxy keeps it tight (I hope).  I didn't want to do anything to drastic as I don't know how leather reacts over time.  Might need to be re-stretched or replaced.

I mis-spoke about our forum.  Its a facebook local makers group of all disciples.  Your welcome to look in.  NWA Makers Club

metalspinner

That's so pretty, Larry!
Chairs and stools intimidate me and you make it look so easy. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!