iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Franklin winch

Started by Shawn h, January 21, 2023, 10:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn h

Franklin model 32c winch. Any info onwjere to get a ring and pinion?

BargeMonkey

Baker and Sons. OH. 
740- 567-3317
Randy Nason @ Harolds. 
207-942-8331 

Shawn h

looking for a parts breakdown what holds the pinion to the drum. The winch will pull the tractor just fine.  with a heavy load makes a popping sound. 

Shawn h

C5C Tree Farmer

If your winch is laid out like the Franklin 32 winch there is is a dry clutch pack that is hydraulically locked to engage the winch spool. The pop occurs because the clutch is slipping. The first thing to check is to see if the hydraulic piston seals failed and oiled the clutch pack.
Here is a recent thread that discussed this issue. 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=119948.msg1928188#msg1928188

Shawn h

Confirmed. In need of a ring and pinion for franklin model 32c. Does any one have a part number.

C5C Tree Farmer

That wasn't good news.....
Franklin has been out of business for more than a few years now and I'm thinking that locating new parts for your winch are going to be accidental at best.
If you're so inclined it may be simpler to buy a second winch from a skidder wrecking yard and make one out of the two.
For whatever reason the operating/parts manuals for the older Franklins and Tree Farmers seem to be made of "unobtainum".

BargeMonkey

Call Baker in OH. They literally pulled the line sheet for my skidder with a serial #, probably one of the last places left with the books for a Franklin.
Quote from: C5C Tree Farmer on January 31, 2023, 10:17:33 PM
Franklin has been out of business for more than a few years now and I'm thinking that locating new parts for your winch are going to be accidental at best.
For whatever reason the operating/parts manuals for the older Franklins and Tree Farmers seem to be made of "unobtainum".
You go on Facebook into these Franklin groups and guys are adapting over 4k and 6k series deere winches because the parts are drying up or cost prohibitive. 

I wanna say it was the show in Watkins Glen NY in 01 ? Guy stood there with a new 170s2 for sale and said it was the last one out the door, I never had trouble with mine for parts but these guys with the Q70-Q80s soldering about 16 switches together to make a shifter, can't get parts, find guys selling 4 parts machines and 1 runner 🤦‍♂️ the 60 series Jack's in 20yrs will be the same way, Deere is slowly stopping to support the parts. 

Thank You Sponsors!