iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rita Salvage Shots

Started by Texas Ranger, October 06, 2005, 05:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bibbyman

Looks like anything of any size has come down.  Anything left standing will probably get some damage as the down stuff is taken down.

I think I'd rather go after a bear with a switch than work with down timber.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Roxie

Oh wow....please tell me that this isn't all timber on your own property that was damaged.   :'(  I was just talking with a friend about damage to timber on property in North Carolina when Hurricane Hugo came through.  The forest is STILL trying to recover from that storm.  
You've got your work cut out for ya.  Another thing I noticed after Hugo, was that even though trees were left standing, the leaves suffered wind burn and took a few seasons to recover. 
Say when

Texas Ranger

This is my number one land owner, several thousand acres in east Texas.  The land is under a hunting lease with one of the leasee's being a logger, my logger, for small tracts.  He set up camp and started working the day I called the land owner and told him the problem on the site.  We are looking at several weeks, six to eight, before completion, which means blue stain and bugs will get in before we finish.

Rockn H

Texas Ranger, what town is that near?

Texas Ranger

Soda, Texas, between Livingston and Woodville.

SwampDonkey

Had some local winds in 1998 following ice storms in the spring and there was one pour logger going around with his team of horses salvaging wood. What a mess to crawl through. Can't imagine a man wanting to work his horses in that stuff.   :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Texas Ranger

This is a rough map produced by the Texas Forest Service showing the areas of 4 levels of damage, from the left, scattered light, to the lower right corner, heavy.  "X" marks my rough locatin, we got lucky, the day before the storm hit, it was to cross the "X".  The total area is roughly 90 by 120 square miles.

Thank You Sponsors!