iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting a milling business

Started by MattP, February 02, 2006, 09:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattP

I have been researching starting a portable sawmilling business.  I have been working on a business plan, researching different sawmills, etc.  I was wondering if there is a sawyer in central Iowa I could visit and observe?  Thanks.

JimBuis

You need to look at the Members Map.  Click on the button at the top center of the screen, then change it from the world view to the U.S.A.  You will see that there are several show in Iowa.  If you roll your mouse pointer over the tree symbols, it will show you who the tree represents.

I hope this helps a bit.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Greg_B.

Jim Buis

i have been building my business slowly over the past 5 years. double check all of you figures and make sure you have enough market to support it. personally i opted for the added value in my lumber then volume. my lower grade goes to a pallet maker locally, and fencing for local farmers give them a deal to get it out of my way. the rest i kiln dry plan and use in my woodshop or sell to other woodworkers. it is some of the hardest work you will ever do!! i have never bought any logs mine are all given to me just for the takin. greg
Norwood mark 4;4020 Branson Tracter backhoe frt.lder; 18' dovetail trailer;Bri-Mar dump trailer 11,500 gross; Beefed-Up 2004 F-350 diesel; workshop full of woodworking tools. So many toys, eh tools so little time.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in 'central' Iowa are ye from?  Originally from just the south side of Waterloo myself.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum.

ElectricAl is in Norway, Iowa.  That's pretty close to the middle so he and Linda can't be too far away.  They run a full-time sawmill business + drying and retailing lumber.

Another couple of ways to look for sawmills is to click on "Find a Forester-Sawmill" in the upper right corner of this screen.  Or,  you can call Wood-Mizer and they will give you the contact information on mills in your area.  Other manufactures can probably do this too.

Good luck.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MattP

MattP

beenthere....I live just south of Colfax.  I grew up outside Decorah.

Thank You Sponsors!