iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flooring

Started by MikeB, July 11, 2006, 01:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeB

Like to get some input:

I am going to do an addition/remoldel of my house maybe next 3-4 years. I am a woodworker, but don't have any sawmill experience. I'd like to put some nice wide plank hardwood flooring in. I have an opportunity to get a large willow oak and water oak probably 4 feet in diameter. There are several people in my area who will saw per board ft. I am thinking of going ahead and accumulating lumber and air drying then having processed into flooring when I know what I need. Really don't think I would mind have different varieties/widths in different rooms. I need to investigate the economics, storage, etc.

Any comments.
Thanks
Mike

footer

It will need to be kiln dried eventually before made into flooring. If you are going to pay someone to saw it, dry it, and mill it into flooring, you could likely just buy the flooring for the same price or less if you consider all the handling that goes along with it. If the trees have some kind of sentimental value, and or you just want to have a floor made from local grown trees, I would search the forum and read up on drying hardwood lumber. You can buy the book, or here is a link,  It is about a 1.5 MB download.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr118.pdf,
Study up on it.
I plan on doing the same thing in my own house some day, but I saw my own lumber and plan on  drying mine in a solar kiln myself. I hope to have my own molder by then, but if not, that would be my only cost besides the handling. I do custom sawing enough to pretty much cover my own sawong costs.  Sometimes I wonder If it is worth it, but once it is in your blood, it's hard to get out ;D

Thank You Sponsors!