The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Flooring  (Read 1140 times)

Offline MikeB

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Flooring
« on: July 11, 2006, 01:11:33 PM »
Like to get some input:

I am going to do an addition/remoldel of my house maybe next 3-4 years. I am a woodworker, but don't have any sawmill experience. I'd like to put some nice wide plank hardwood flooring in. I have an opportunity to get a large willow oak and water oak probably 4 feet in diameter. There are several people in my area who will saw per board ft. I am thinking of going ahead and accumulating lumber and air drying then having processed into flooring when I know what I need. Really don't think I would mind have different varieties/widths in different rooms. I need to investigate the economics, storage, etc.

Any comments.
Thanks
Mike

Offline footer

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
Re: Flooring
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 01:29:21 PM »
It will need to be kiln dried eventually before made into flooring. If you are going to pay someone to saw it, dry it, and mill it into flooring, you could likely just buy the flooring for the same price or less if you consider all the handling that goes along with it. If the trees have some kind of sentimental value, and or you just want to have a floor made from local grown trees, I would search the forum and read up on drying hardwood lumber. You can buy the book, or here is a link,  It is about a 1.5 MB download.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr118.pdf,
Study up on it.
I plan on doing the same thing in my own house some day, but I saw my own lumber and plan on  drying mine in a solar kiln myself. I hope to have my own molder by then, but if not, that would be my only cost besides the handling. I do custom sawing enough to pretty much cover my own sawong costs.  Sometimes I wonder If it is worth it, but once it is in your blood, it's hard to get out ;D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Flooring

Started by Wes on Drying and Processing

17 Replies
Last post March 26, 2004, 03:58:19 PM
by Wes
xx
Oak Flooring

Started by g_man on Forestry and Logging

15 Replies
Last post September 30, 2011, 06:13:13 PM
by 250quality