iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swingblade questions

Started by Riles, March 11, 2007, 10:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riles

Am I correct in assuming a swingblade can only doublecut once per layer in a log? Can you doublecut vertically (at least as long as you keep the blade out of the dirt)?
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

BigTrev

Hi Riles,

Your bang on about the swingmill being able to double cut once per layer.

As for the vertical, the 'high' side of the blade is covered by guards etc so you couldn't cut with the back of it meaning no vertical doublecuts. :(
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

Ianab

Like Trev says, you can only double cut in the horizontal.
However, although you normally dont move the logs while you mill them, there is nothing to stop you from doing this. You can roll over a log and cut from the other side, leaving a full width slab. You could also cut the top and bottom of a log leaving a 16" thick slab, then stand that up on edge and double cut that. You would want a decent log deck and a tractor to move the logs, but it could be done if you wanted the wide boards  :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

brdmkr

I may be misuderstanding the question, but it sounds to me like you may be asking if you have to remove a board before moving on to the next when double cutting.  If that is the case, the answer would be yes and no.  I will cut 2 or 3 horizontals half way through (cut drop, cut drop), then go to the otherside and make the cuts join up.  I am not sure if that is an advantage with the other mills, but with a Lucas, it saves having to turn the carriage 180 degrees for each board.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Riles

Quote from: brdmkr on March 11, 2007, 11:46:45 PM
I may be misuderstanding the question, but it sounds to me like you may be asking if you have to remove a board before moving on to the next when double cutting. 

No, I was just wondering if it was possible to get more 2x6's out of a 20 inch log with a skillmill.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!