iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maine Trip

Started by Mooseherder, May 28, 2007, 09:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

We had a pretty event filled week for our Maine Trip. Got to meet fellow Forestry Forum member Pappy and his wonderful wife Jennie. We got together at their place on Monday and then they came to see us at our Camp on Friday. Their dog BW(Bow Weight) also attended both festivities. What a great dog.  He held the fort down on Friday when we went for a ATV ride around the reservoir. ;)
This was the weather on Monday May 21st before we left for Pappy's and Jennie's place. :D

On the way There. Beautiful valley views and warming up a bit. ;D

BW taking a break.

This was BW's view. An incredible piece of property and view of the Fish River.

Pappy by his prized Cook Shack. Yep, I want one and am gonna have one. :D

Jennie found a Whatsit. ???

There was even some Hat Modeling. :D

Pappy's Mill and Shed set up. ;)

moosehunter

Mooseherder,                                                                                                                     An afternoon at Pappy @ Grams is fine afternoon indeed :)

Maybe the Mrs and I will be able to connect with you next time we are in northern Maine.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

pappy

As always it's the best meeting Forestry Forum folks...  8)  8)

Mooseherder and his better half  ;) are no doubt some top notch "County" people !!! Really liked your parcel of land and cabin... The wooded section has some large mature spruce / fir trees which will help make your dream home a reailty...

We had not only one great afternoon but TWO of em and had great eats both times, a must when FF members get together...  ;D

So glad you at least took pictures with your camera, we had ours but we Dang forgot ta use it  ::)

The 4 wheeler ride was something else  8) the trail system is very impressive, there are some very dedicated volunteers who make the recreation trail systems happen in this north country...

moosehunter,
We'll just have to do up a cookout if everybody happens ta be up north at the same time... smiley_thumbsup

pappy

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Mooseherder

We just happen to have the camera for the ATV ride also. ;D
The Beaver Dam behind us was right off the trail. This is on the St. Mary Stream above the reservoir.

Then there was this Log Cabin some young folks built.  We sat for a spell and enjoyed the view.

Mooseherder

We also got some work done while there. The back of the camp was 4 inches lower than the front because of rotten ties. My Brother In Law Ken gave me some Cedar 6x6 he had milled and also headed up the project of shoring up the camp and leveling.
It was level everywhere when we got done. ;D
Brother Ron painted them with his special sauce for further protection from rot. The camp is kinda on the edge of the woods and doesn't always get enough sun to dry things out. Next time we are there we will bring some more gravel in to put around the camp to level things out. We also replaced the Stove pipe supporting wood below the clean out that was rotten.

Mooseherder

We were suppose to go Fiddlehead pickin' on Wed. but there was a freeze on Monday and Wife's parents said they would be no good.  So while fishing I came across these. Just a day or two too late because they were starting to fern out. I coulda got a couple meals worth but I was fishing for trout and Trout trumps  unfurled fiddleheads. ;D

Also had plenty of these all around usually on higher ground. This is the kind of fiddelheads you don't want to eat. Don't know the scientific name for them but we call them Pig Fiddleheads.

Then there were thousands of these things that looked like Ramps. I don't know if they are or not.

SwampDonkey

Ostrich fern (good fiddle heads)

cinnamon fern (bad) Osmunda cinnamomea or interrupted fern, same genus.

and looks like Indian hellebore (deadly poison)

all on moist-wet ground.

the wazzit, are what's left of balsam fir cones, the axis of the cones, and some branch material. ;D It was a great seed year last year.

Great pictures from a nice part of the globe.  8)  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Good thing we didn't try eating that Indian Hellebore eh?
They do look similiar to Ramps that were posted on another thread a little while back.
Here is a little Fir growing out of a rock. :D

Thank You Sponsors!