iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A rather interesting bandsaw

Started by crtreedude, August 12, 2007, 07:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

We are starting up our woodshop in the next month or so and I am into the meeting the local woodworkers. I went to see a person who is considered the best carver in the area. He wasn't home so we walked back into his shop to see if he had any examples I could see.

Didn't find any examples, but I did find this.

I have a 10" bandsaw, I might actually see if he will swap when my 17" bandsaw arrives. Cleaned up, what a great conversation piece - think Amy would let me put it in the living room?

So, how did I end up here anyway?

crtreedude

I don't know if you all can tell - but almost EVERYTHING on the bandsaw is wood.

breederman

Well that makes it a whole lot cooler! :) I would snag it if you can.
Together we got this !

fstedy

I had one of those years ago in the 1970's it was a kit made by a company Gilliom Mfg. they advertided in wood mags. and Popupar Mechanics. I believe they were located in St Louis, Mo. They supplied the metal castings and you made the frame out of plywood and oak. It was a good machine and the price was right about $40 bucks if I remember right.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

crtreedude

I wonder how it got down to Costa Rica!  :o

I don't know if you saw, but the wheels look like old wagon wheels.

fstedy

Mine had cast alum. wheels maybe its an earlier version or another design.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.

crtreedude

Having looked at it up close - I don't think it is a kit. This is a common thing down here that I see frequently, someone making a tool. I am sure Harold feels right at home with some of this. ;)

fstedy

After thinking about it they did offer a version that you could build your own wheels. The other hardware, blade guides and tensioner sure look similar to the one I had.

thecfarm

Did you look out back for a sawmill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Todd

anyone that could make one of those without a bandsaw probably dosen't need one :o
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

crtreedude

Lots of people have Alaskan style sawmills here - pretty common.

Don P

One of the first bandsaws I used was one of the Gilliom kits. I think it had the cast wheels but the tensioner was where that one is. Ours had a formica top, high class  :).

brdmkr

That is one of the coolest things I have seen.  I have seen plans of a homemade table saw and drum sanders and such, but never anything like that.  It is amazing what a little ingenuity can produce.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Thank You Sponsors!