iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picnic shelter?

Started by woodhick, November 10, 2007, 11:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I am planing on building a picnic shelter in my back yard next year.  I woud like to build a timber frame.  I am a sawyer and a cabinet maker, not a timber framer.  I have sawed timbers for framers and read a few books but lack a lot in the design stage.  I would like to go with something about 16' or 18' wide and about 24' long.  I would think a 3 bent frame? ???.  Does anyone have a "standard" plan for this type of application?   Not sure if it would be easier to build 3 bents connected by purlins or use posts with a top plate and build trusses.  I am trying to acheive the most asthetic effect in a small structure.   I was planning on using concrete or stone piers with 8"x8" white oak post.  from there I'm not sure what's the best approach.   Thanks for any help.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Mooseherder

I'm a Meatcutter and did this one. :D
It would of been larger but I made it in my garage in my spare time and trailered to the camp to assemble while on vacation.
It is on concrete piers because it is on uneven ground.

maineframer

Woodhick,
That sounds like a great project. I lean towards the principal rafters and purlin system. With the size that you are looking for you can use continuous plates with no scarfs.
We provide timber frame design services . Send me a private E-mail if you want to talk about it.

David
David

Thehardway

I will post a pic of a design made locally here that is pretty cool and made out of utility poles.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

woodhick

Thanks, hardway I am open to all ideas.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Thank You Sponsors!