iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

koering tree harvester??

Started by redneck, February 13, 2009, 06:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redneck

does anyone know if this is a koering tree harvester? and is ther any videos on the net of this beast working ?? ???

think of the ruts left in the woods from this thing :o
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

SwampDonkey

Yup, you've been up to the Lumberman's museum in Boisetown, NB. ;D

I don't think there are nay online videos. Those dinosaurs went extinct in the 80's. Your right about the ruts, very deep ruts at that.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

semologger

Like to see some close ups without the snow. Never seen anything like that. Neat O

SwampDonkey

Yeah, those things snipped the tree off, tossed it on a bunk and took the whole tree out to the roadside, limbs and all. A debarker was used, then sent through a chipper and onto the van. I saw them used mostly in hardwood forest. I don't think it was profitable because the investment was very high in all that equipment. Ridiculous.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dom

A few years ago, I had found that machine on the UNB Forestry website, but all I was able to find today was this article:

http://www.lib.unb.ca/Texts/JFE/bin/get14b.cgi?directory=July03/&filename=wester.htm

This little abstract seems to sum the machines production fairly well:

QuoteSince the start of mechanisation one of the dreams has been a machine that can perform all work tasks of the harvesting process. One of the first machines that managed to do this was the Bush Combine of the late fifties. However, as the later Koering shortwood harvester the Bush Combine was limited to producing fixed length pulpwood bolts, and thus, was not adapted to harvesting stands where wood has to be separated into multiple assortments with different log lengths [11].

SwampDonkey

Pierre Zundel UNB article

I think this might be more informative, has a link below the picture for all the details. ;D  This too was buried in the forum and posted in the Timber Harvest Methods and Equipment 5 years ago in discussions. ;D As was pointed out, the museum piece had a delimber on the felling boom. I believe, the tree was gripped and the delimber was run up the trunk and down before you snip the tree off. I've seen both versions in action.

redneck

i will take some better pics when i  pass threw there again. I might even stop and ask about the machine when the museum is open.  i can't seem to figure it out because the harvester arm does not turn or pivot it seems to be welded in place at the base.  it would make it hard to get the harvested tree out of the way.  there is a log grapple on the other side that is hard to see in the picture.  the other side hold a delimber of some sort i think.  I am sure the museum has some info on them. here is a photo i found on the net

208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

SwampDonkey

That must have been a 70's prototype. The machine would cut the tree and drop it left or right and the grapple would load it on the bunk. The ones I seen used in the 80's never let the tree touch the ground until roadside when the bunk was use to dump the load off the side. The ones I seen where much bigger than the museum piece, the tires were 8 feet high it seemed. They had no delimber on the ones I seen in hardwood harvesting.

semologger

Looks like you had to have 5 arms to run it. Complicated. Imagine how many levers that thing had.

Thank You Sponsors!