iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Treating logs to keep out bugs and boring bees

Started by jimparamedic, June 23, 2009, 09:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimparamedic

I am getting ready to build a log house out of white pine logs my grandma and uncle planted 50-60 yrs ago. Both have past and the pines are to close and starting to die they need thinned out. The logs will be protected by an 8' porch roof. I forgot to tell that the log house is an octagon. My main concern will be keeping out the boring bees . They are hard on pine lumber around here. I may mix in some poplar and oak logs for some color.

shinnlinger

I thought I had the answer but when I saw it was to be installed on an octagon I lost it.  Maybe look into if some Pressure treaters are in your area.  They might be able to put your logs in the tank with timbor or something and then give it some atmospheres to give you some protection.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

jimparamedic

The logs only need bug protection on the outside do not want the chemicals inside. maybe something that can be sprayed on or brushed after the logs are chinked.
                                                                                                                                                                                       oc⋅ta⋅gon  /ˈɒktəˌgɒn, -gən/  Show Spelled Pronunciation [ok-tuh-gon, -guhn]
–noun a polygon having eight angles and eight sides.

shinnlinger

You can "paint on" alot of things, but they won't have the protection a PT stick would.  You might still see if someone PT's near you and discuss your concerns.  They might have something fairly harmless  you could do the whole stick with.  ANother alternative would be to panel the inside after but that might not be what you are looking for.

As an aside, I will suggest not leaving an all wood interior just because it is so dark.  Work in some drywall or bleached/pickled boards or something just to lighten it up.

I wise trying to be a wiseass with my octagon comment but it didn't translate to type well.  Sorry about that.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Jasperfield

Have you looked at a wettable product called "Penetreat"?

I've got 5 gallons of it but haven't used it yet, and don't know much about it. It did come fairly well recommended.

jimparamedic

Have just checked out Penetreat that looks like what I'll try other sites have said that it is pretty good stuff. The outside walls will be log. The inside walls will be made of 2x6 and dry wall,I'm using pocket doors and an open floor plan. I'll try and post my floor plan.

jander3

I use penetreat and throw in a little borax from the grocery store.  Seems to work well in both Louisiana and Minnesota. 

Woodbender

No advice but those boring bees (carpenter bees we call them around here) aren't fased a bit by PT lumber.  We built a PT 6 foot dog eared fence around my yard a few years ago and they were all over it.  We'd nail them dead hit with wasp & hornet killer and they just would shake like a dog and fly off.

I'd love to know how to keep them out of my outside lumber.  Borax seems to work Jander ?
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

Thank You Sponsors!