iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Road trip

Started by Raider Bill, July 28, 2009, 08:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Well this not smoking is wearing me and my office employees out so they decided I have to go................. on a road trip~! ;D
Didn't take too much perswasion[sp]

Heading out in the AM for Tenn for a week or so  then Ill. to see my Daughter and grand sons then Iowa to see GF's Grandfather. May swing by Huntsville Ala on way back to Tenn to see some friends and that areospace museum they have there.

You guys have a great pig roast!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Don_Papenburg

Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

CLL

Used to live about 25 miles from the space station at Huntsville. Stop in Decatur and have some Big Bob Gibson BBQ, world champion stuff.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Raider Bill

Aurora,

Can you hear my bike warming up? ;D

isawlogs

Raider, have yourself a nice trip . That sure sounds like a good one to take , aint sure myself if I would of attempted it on my first week of being on the wagon , might of been a little scarry to some  :o   :D  But if it can help you get through it , put da peddle to da metal throdle down ....   :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Trip was nice, weather held except for when we were in Aurora Il. Big rain storm.
I left Florida and spent a week in Tenn. Tiled the spare room floor, spent some great time in the woods working on trails. Took off to visit family, with stops in Burlington , Fairfield, Ottumawa, Ames and Belle something Iowa. Went to see my Daughter and Grandsons in Auroura Il. First time I met one of the Grandsons!
On way back we stopped near Lexington KY and discovered Fat Boys BBQ in Georgetown KY. Outstanding BBQ!
Went back to Tenn house, finished up the outside stone work, [i'll post pix in my ICF house thread], worked in the woods some more, rode the mountains then back here to the concrete jungle.

The not smoking part was rough espesscially on the bike and while around others that smoke but I made it without one!

beenthere

Raider Bill
Trying to figure out the trailer and the BBQ box.  ::) ::)

This what FatBoys BBQ uses to make the BBQ?  :)  (likely not).

Did you buy it and drag it home ??

Nice trip. Did you enjoy IA?   Was it Belle Plaine ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Patty

Yea I was thinking Belle Plain or Belmond. Either way you were about 40 minutes from our place when you were in Ames. Sorry we missed you.

Iowa is a vast array of green in July and August....every shade of green imaginable. It is like the state is exploding with life of every sort...bugs, plants, livestock, etc...   Now we are into September and things are turning golden. The state is winding down for the year, heading into the harvest season, and preparing for winter.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

Beenthere,
Sorry for the rotten pix. I took them with the phone. Yes this is the smoker they use. He also compete's so that is why it's portable. The garage is a drive through. they have a smoke stack in the roof that they connect to. A neat thing is that on each side of the garage they have freezers, reefer, sinks etc so they can work right there and be supplied.
Smoker is a offset, GF was hurrying me so I didn't get the pix I wanted.
Service was terrible but food was great. I had the sampler platter, 1/4 rack of ribs, mound each of brisket and pulled pork with 3 sides. Blackberry cobbler ala mode to top it off. Wasn't sure I was going to be able to get back on bike. ;D

Yes Belle Plaine IA.

Patty
Ames was a surprise trip at night. I was picking bugs out of my teeth for a week. Shirley's nephew was just starting college there as a freshman. We missed him in Burlington so went there to wish him good luck. He is the first family member to go to college right out of High school.. As a side note he wants to be a Forester. I never knew that. Told him about this forum.

We left Ottumwa around 6 pm headed to Ames for a quick visit then Belle Plaines that night. No hotels in Belle Plaines so hit the interstate til we found one at about 1:30 am. Did I mention bugs? I used a whole can of pledge to get them off the bike the next day.

Patty

Oh yea, nothing like hitting a june big at 70 mph on a bike.  :o

Ottumwa to Ames is quite a trip to make at night on a bike. At least with all the bugs, you got your protein for the year.  :D    Try the trip in daylight some time, it is very pretty.

No worries about not stopping, just more beer for Patty.  ;D

Glad you made it home safely.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

Patti
The trip to Ames wasn't as bad as the one to and from Belle plaines. We were supposed to be staying there but when we saw the conditions we declined.  ::) Dark Cornfields to interstate 80 and no hotels for a ways.
My head generally sticks up above the windshield unless it's rainning but on that ride I hunkered down. Almost needed a putty knife for the bugs.

I could sure have used a beer. ;)

I've been in the fairfied/ ottumwa area several times. It is very pretty in summer. Amazes me the amount of cornfields. Seems nobody should go hungrey with that much corn.

I did notice that 89 octane with ethonal was cheaper than 87 without in Iowa. Corn growers union must be strong there. ;D

Don_Papenburg

Shucks  , I missed the thread after my post . While in Aurora you were only about 60 miles from me .  on the way to Iowa you would have probably taken I80  , At Marsailles you would have been only 15 miles from the farm .  Could have set up a tour of my ICF house.  Oh well next trip .  I might be done with it by then.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on September 06, 2009, 09:00:41 PM
Shucks  , I missed the thread after my post . While in Aurora you were only about 60 miles from me .  on the way to Iowa you would have probably taken I80  , At Marsailles you would have been only 15 miles from the farm .  Could have set up a tour of my ICF house.  Oh well next trip .  I might be done with it by then.

It would have been nice to see a ICF house built by someone that knows what he is doing :D

We came in 80 from Iowa during the day I remember that exit.

olyman

and when you were only a few miles from pattys place--you werent a whole lot more miles to mine-----kids!!!

isawlogs

Well you where only a day and half away from here , cant see why ya did not do a little manoeuvering this way .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Marcel, think snow line. Them Floridians are terribly afraid of it. ;) Then there's passport issues now a days. No passport, no entry. All a bunch of non-sense, but we have to comply.  :-X

Looks like you had a great time Raider touching base with family and working on your TN turf.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

I'm only afraid of snow because I lived 30 years in central NY near Syracuse ;D

It was nice to finally meet my newest Grandson! 

scgargoyle

We're still waiting to see the latest house pics (hint hint). I thought you'd be living up there by now.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Don_Papenburg

'by someone who knew what he was doing .     You wouldn't have been at my place then ;D  I have been making mistakes for years and mostly enjoying it.

Raider Bill

Roger that Don!

I'm told that my dad said in the hospital when I was born "This is a Mistake" Been up hill ever since

Thank You Sponsors!