iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Book on timber framing

Started by Jim_Rogers, June 02, 2010, 03:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Lj:
I do hear what you're saying, and I have heard or did understand most of this before.

Still brain storming this idea, and may see where that leads me.

I do understand that time is money, and it takes time to do these things.

Thanks for your offer and advice.

Jim
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Piston

Jim,
As other's have said I think you could make a book out of your 'tutorial' posts alone!  I have printed up the sticky's you wrote and have them in my bookshelf right alongside the Sobon books, Benson books, and Chappel book, I refer to it just as much as the others. 

You have a unique way of teaching that makes a complicated and far reaching subject (at least to the beginner) look very attainable to the average person.  Whether you make a book or not I will still rely on past writings that you have made throughout my life and reference those as long as I am into this hobby. 

Some people may know every single aspect of timber framing and structural engineering but may be horrible teachers, or just not want to teach.  You are a professional who knows an extremely lot about the craft and are obviously very good at it, as well you have a desire and passion to pass on your knowledge.  People like me owe a lot to people like you because you put things in terms that we can understand and follow, making something seem not that difficult.  Some of your posts can literally walk a beginner through the steps to cut a joint, they did for me.   Obviously there is a lot more to it than I understand at this point, but that is the goal of your book, for the beginner....

I also think some plans at the end of the book for small projects would be really helpful.  Chappel and Sobon do this in they're books but they are still fairly major tasks.  I think some things like mailbox posts, sawhorses, and maybe a picnic table or something similar would be very helpful to the beginner.  It would be a project someone like me could do and finish in a reasonable amount of time and realize the feeling of success sooner, which is addictive in itself.

If it helps at all, I'm gonna need to pre-order two copies for myself, one for the house, and one for the ship!   ;D

I say go for it..... 8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

laffs

I may have missed some old threads.
how about guide lines on how much of a shoulder to leave for a tenon. how deep to cut the housed part of the mortise. and this would be more structural, but rafter size for purlin. i know when in doubt overkill but, what would be under-kill. maybe some sort of chart. like width x inch of rise minimum dimension of rafter.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Rooster

Quote from: Piston on June 21, 2010, 03:50:44 PM
If it helps at all, I'm gonna need to pre-order two copies for myself, one for the house, and one for the ship!   ;D

Piston,
Ship???  So either you are a merchant marine, in the navy, or an astronaut....Heck, it's better than being called a space cadet.   :D

Sorry Piston, failed attempt at humor.   :-\

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Craig Roost on June 22, 2010, 08:11:54 AM
Quote from: Piston on June 21, 2010, 03:50:44 PM
If it helps at all, I'm gonna need to pre-order two copies for myself, one for the house, and one for the ship!   ;D

Piston,
Ship???  So either you are a merchant marine, in the navy, or an astronaut....Heck, it's better than being called a space cadet.   :D

Craig:
Piston works on a ship, and is there for several weeks at a time. While off duty he does have access to the Internet and can post to threads.
When he is home he doesn't live that far from me, and can work on projects like timber framing.

He came to a job site where I was working cutting a frame to view the overall process and see what it was all about. And he helped me for a day to learn and see.

I have traveled to his home and helped him and a friend learn how to mill timbers with their new sawmill for a day. Which was fun.

Learning an meeting new people is fun and rewarding.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: laffs on June 22, 2010, 07:04:56 AM
I may have missed some old threads.

They are still there you just need to go find them and read them.

how about guide lines on how much of a shoulder to leave for a tenon? how deep to cut the housed part of the mortise?

These are established by the frame designer when the "general frame rules" are written. But are usually a standard dimension. Each joint should apply to the "general frame rules" and every rule has exceptions. When a beam meets a post it maybe necessary to increase the housing depth to make a shelf for the beam to sit on and increase it's load transferring capacity.

and this would be more structural, but rafter size for purlin. i know when in doubt overkill but, what would be under-kill? maybe some sort of chart. like width x inch of rise minimum dimension of rafter.

As almost every frame is designed to be site specific there is no way to come up with a chart that says what sizes would work, or I'd have found one by now.
Every roof structure has to be designed to carry the load of the roof materials, wind load and any snow load, again these are all building site specific and can vary from low to high.

I'm sorry I can't help you with any "rules of thumb" other than this.

Jim Rogers

laffs

thanks for the responce
let ma know when the book is done.
brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Piston

Rooster,
Your right, Space Cadet....... :D
Actually Merchant Marine...and I'm lucky enough to have internet access out here and quite a bit of down time....So when you notice me posting quite a bit, there is a good chance I'm.....ah hem...working  :D

I think I'd rather be an Astronaut though, although then again I'd be out of a job  ???

I don't post nearly as much as I should when I'm home, gotta soak up all that vaca that I can outside.  I've been meaning to post a report on a fence I just built so maybe I can get to that in the next day or two...
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Raphael

My rule of thumb for sizing roof rafters is steal borrow a design from someone who's paid an engineer and has a higher snow load than I do.   ;)  :D
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!