iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures of my LT-30 with extension I built for sawing 21' logs

Started by Slingshot, September 23, 2010, 11:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingshot

I built a 4-1/2 foot extension for my LT-30 so I can saw up to 21 feet.  Built it with everything I
already had except a 9 foot section of 1 inch cold rolled steel for the rails and a few bolts. The steel
supplier here didn't stock the 4X8 inch tubing I needed for the main beam and I would have had to
pay over $200.00 for a special order 20 foot piece so I welded 2 pieces of 4 inch angle and made a
4X8 inch channel. I rigged up a jig for drilling true centered holes in the mill rails and new bar for rails
and used 5/16 grade 5 bolts with head removed for allignment pins. There are pictures of the way I
connected the extension. It is all bolted on so it can be removed and the mill returned to original
except for 5 holes I driled at the end of main beam. 4 to re-locate small bunk and 1 for a support
bracket. And I welded 2 short pieces of angle inside main beam for drawing the sections together.

Here is the almost finished job.

I I relocated the small bunk to the end of main beam and added another bunk in it's place.

The new addition is supported by the mill bed so it won't have to be removed for moving the mill or
transporting

The mill head rolls onto the new rails like on the original

The jig I used to hold bit for driling holes for pins

angles inside beam with nuts welded on back side for 5/8 inch bolts

steel plate goes inside and bolted for support

5/8 inch bolts draws it up tight

redbeard

Very nice fabrication work, That wasn't your first rodeo, Good job!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Coon

That job looks top notch mate.  ;D  I reckon she'll do the trick.  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

fishpharmer

Very nicely done slingshot.  Good of you to share iit.

I see hydraulics in your future if you don't already  have some on your mill.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fred in montana

woodmizer lt15, mf 65 tractor
logdovetailjig.com

terrifictimbersllc

Takes me 2 whole sticks to weld on a new fender mount and i'm not posting pictures of that  :( :(  .  Couldn't tell for a while in the pictures where the new work was until I noticed the new orange vs. the old orange.  Outstanding job!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Slingshot

Thanks for the comments. Kinda fun building it. I'm thinking of still finding a section of the
4X8 rectangular tubing like the main beam and using it where I used the fabricated Channel
which can be unbolted and replaced. Then use the 4X8 channel section and make a stand-alone,
  bolt-on extension for logs to 24 feet if the need arises.
    Here is a picture of the addition with primer. I removed the jack stand and bolted the new
section where it was bolted on. I will weld on a plate to bolt on the jack stand where it is in this
picture and another at the end for a screw jack.

________________________-
Charles   sling_shot

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pineywoods

Very nice, well thought out. I like the jig. I've thought about making a 12 footer, but thinkin about it as far as I ever got.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bro. Noble

My hat is off to you 8)

I admire top craftmanship of all kinds :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

StephenRice

"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

Jim_Rogers

Charles:

I have a six foot bed extension that I bought from WM before they invented the pin set up to line up the two sections.

Would you rent that drill holder to me so that I could drill mine out?

I've talked to WM Maine about getting the pins but I didn't have a method to drill the holes.

I would pay for the shipping from you to me, rent and sent it back to you when done.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Slingshot

Jim Rogers; I'll be glad to let you have this drilling jig. But no renting it. I made it from parts I had
laying around and don't have anything invested in it. The tubing is aircraft aluminum that fits snugly
on the 1 inch rails and built up inside with spacers and washers with smaller holes than regular hardware
washers. Just something to hold the drill bit on a level plane with the rail. PM me or E-mail to get an
address and I will send it to you. You don't need to send  it back. I don't know what size pins Woodmizer
uses but this jig is set up for 5/16. I used 5/16 grade 5 bolts, cut the head off and cut to length. If you
need for larger diameter pins you can drill the washers to fit. The holes were 1/4 inch so I drilled a 1/4 inch
hole to start then drilled the washers to 5/16 with a drill press. I also used a center punch through the
jig before drilling.

Magicman

And the spirit of the FF is very much alive and well.  Congratulations on your project and your thoughtfulness to provide others with the details of your craftsmanship, and willingness to help others.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

I received the jig in the mail the other day, while I was away in VT.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, very much.
I opened it yesterday, and showed it to my friend this morning.

We should be able to use this to improve my alignment of my 6' bed extension to the sawmill frame, once and for all.

I plan on getting some bolts and several bits just in case one bit doesn't do the whole job.

What length bolt should I get and what depth hole did you drill in each?

I have it all bolted up right now, but in a week or so, I have to go do a portable sawing job on site, and my thoughts were to bore the holds and prepare the bolts before I put it all back together again, with photos of course.

Jim Rogers

Slingshot

Jim, you're welcome. Glad you liked the system enough to want to use it. That is the only
way I could think up to drill a straight hole in the center of the rails already welded onto
the saw.
   As I stated, the jig is drilled for 5/16 bolts and I used a 5/16 diameter center punch through
the jig to make it easier to center the bit for starting. (picture in post above) The grade 5 bolts are tough, grade 8 even tougher, and I think plenty strong for this use. Bolts 3 or 3&1/2 inch long will give you a 2 inch pin
after cutting the head and threads off, and I drilled the holes 1 inch, or a little less, deep.

Jim_Rogers

pineywoods

Slingshot, you just solved a real sticky problem for me. Friend of mine has an LT40 super with a 6 ft bed extension. He has never been able to keep the extension aligned to the mill. Big long heavy logs and a large forklift keep shifting things. I had thought of alignment pins, but never could figure out a way to drill the holes accurately. You did, and I copied your jig. Thanks. Couldn't find a piece of tubing with exactly 1 inch bore, so I chucked a smaller piece in the lathe and bored it out to 1 inch + .001. I pressed a 1.5 inch long solid metal plug in one end and drilled that out to 3/8. Cut the slot with a milling machine. OK, it's way overbuilt, like you, I used what I had handy. here's some pics

and the end result

pins are made from 3/8 grade 5 bolts..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jasperfield

Slingshot,

If you hadn't told us different, and posted the photo's, I'd say Wood-Mizer built that extension.

Very impressive work!

bandmiller2

Backyard engineers are what built this country,a hearty well done slingshot.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Slingshot

Thanks for the comments.

Sturdy little jig you built, pineywoods.

Maybe Woodmizer could come up with something like that to include
with the sale of extensions to owners of older mills?

Thank You Sponsors!