iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lumber sheds and what you have in them

Started by northwoods1, October 30, 2010, 09:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

So inevitably I come across something good to saw but have no current use or buyer for ??? , oh I have been through the process of learning how not to let the "junk" accumulate :D and not be a wood hoarder :D , but still run across lumber I need to save. I'm thinking about building a simple type of pole structure, side it with 4/4 pine and maybe have it open on one side, and then just have racks for a lot of different sorts even for short wood. Anyone else have sheds built for storing or drying lumber? Or, does anyone else admit to having some good wood stashed away that they might even hate to part with :) unless you get big bucks of course :D

Burlkraft

I have one of those sheds. It's a 3 sided pole barn
I have been hoarding good wood for a long time and I was just piling it out there on the shelves.
Well you know what happens to stuff that's piled up for long periods.....Mouse haven  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(
I have found huge mouse condos in there that contained pieces of old gloves, shredded redwood bark and most of a roll of paper towels. A lot of the little critters are now homeless  :-\  :-\

I just tore all the shelves out and went to storing my lumber vertically.
It is working out good. I have even able to store more lumber in there now and it smells like lumber in there instead of mouse # 1 and 2  :D  :D  :D

I will get a couple of pictures on post them.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

northwoods1

Yes I would love to see pics. Mice suck ::)

flibob

I was gone all summer.  Got home and the mice had built a condo in the engine of my LT28.  I had left an old packing blanket  on the other side of the shed and they filled the air cooling duct with "home".  Took me half a day to get it all out.
The ranch is so big and I'm such a little cowboy

paul case

my lumber gets stored in one of my 4 - 40x400' chicken houses. i cant keep the stuff around. someone is always coming by to look at it. it sells a few pieces at a time or the whole bunch. and yes like you mine are leftovers.

this really only shows about half of 80' of one end. i have lots of room so i keep some reject ties to set my lumber stacks on along the side so that i have a clear run down the middle for the loader.
a neat idea that a neighbor of mine uses is an old 40' van trailer. he as made an air dryer out of it.open door end to the south and big exhaust  fan in the front. looks like his works pretty slick.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

redbeard

Our drying shed has 16'wide bays on the ends and 2 - 24' openings in the center the shed is 20'x 80'. We add the organizing partitions as we go, works good for customers to see and, easy access to the material.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Stephen1

I like the idea of the wood vertical, I imagine you can store more of it, and it is easier for the customer to see what you have, as it is not piled on each other. Are you drying it before storing it vertical?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

redbeard

I mostly stand them vertical after air drying but i have experimented with standing fresh cut boards,it works just depends on certian woods it has to be stable wood. Hardwoods are a different story. The lumber in pics is mostly cedar,spruce,hemlock and Doug fir
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

T Red

I would have thought standing it vertically would promote warping? 
Tim

customdave

H'mmmm nice shed Redbeard! , Thats what I need :-\...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Meadows Miller

Gday

Nice shed Red beard  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Paul you have more space than you know what to do with Mate  :o :) ;) :D :D :D ;D 8) I did some advisory work for a farmer that wanted to start a sawmill once who was going to use chook sheds he had on his property and raise them about 6 foot years ago  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ljmathias

Down here in termite country, lumber has to be up on something or it's not lumber for long.  I've got too many stickered stacks now- getting the urge to build something, maybe another house or shed, to use up some of it.  Also got the bug to make furniture lately- Christmas is coming up and can't afford to buy anything but screws and varnish... :)

So how come everybody else's sheds look so neat and clean?  Is it just me, or do us not-so-neat people just not post pictures? ???

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

woodsy

Not to steer away from the shed topic too much, but air drying lumber vertically is more common than you might think.  I'm pretty sure it's a popular way to do it in the tropics and I know of a fair number of people who swear by it in the states.  The wood is leaned almost vertical on edge against a gigantic saw horse like structure.  When I first heard about this I thought it was nuts, but the people who do it claim to get good results. I still opt for air drying horizontally, but once dry I often lean stock vertically.  In my situation it saves space and makes easier viewing of the boards when selecting. I've never had a problem with warping when doing this.   

Nice looking shed redbeard
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

northwoods1

What do you have all the vertical boards sitting on? I like the idea of vertical it seems to take up less space and you can sort through what is there easily. I have a lot of cedar poles out in the wood yard stacked vertically, that is very handy. Makes it simple to keep different lengths and diameters separate. Neatness is just a relative kind of thing :D personally i think a person should go with whatever works for them. If you wanted to see un-organized I could take some pics of one of my lumber sheds I am going through at the moment :) Paul it would be nice to have a big shed like that in the winter up here, everything could be under roof and a guy wouldn't have to mess with much snow.

Dakota

If I were going to stack boards vertical, I'd get some used plastic pallets. 
Dakota
Dave Rinker

redbeard

I still have lots to do for a floor I built the shed on ground with a slight grade its good and bad ,the water dosent collect when raining but its hard to stack the first lumber bunk,the dunnage looks like big wedges. I laid down scrap boards over the ground it keeps the dirt out of the ends on the vertical racks I haven't had any problems with warping usally you can see which boards are gonna move around as they come off the mill. I picked a area that gets alot of wind and air flow, air drying is my only method.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

woodsy

That's a good question Northwoods.  I'm not entirely sure what they rest the bottom end of the boards on.  The boards are not stacked perfectly vertical, but on an angle (and on edge), so just a little bit of that bottom corner is in contact with whatever it's resting on.

When I put my dry lumber vertically it's in a barn with a wooden floor.
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

paul case

Quote from: Meadows Miller on October 31, 2010, 07:44:36 AM
Gday
Paul you have more space than you know what to do with Mate  :o :) ;) :D :D :D ;D 8)

Regards Chris

not so.
#1 has 335 round bales of hay and my firewood pile.
#2 has my mill and cutoff equipment and lumber stacks and 180 rd bales of hay
#3 has may shop 1 pickup 2 2 ton spreader trucks 2 round balers 2 brush hogs and 4 tractors and 150 rd bales of hay
#4 has 4 trailers loaded with sq bales and 8 tractors,2pickups 1 -2ton truck a square baler a front loader,and other implements and parts.

i know how to use up the space   ;D pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sandhills

pc, sounds to me like you need a few more tractors  ;D

pineywoods

Stuff expands to fill all available space  ;D pc sounds sorta like my place, but I only have 1 old chicken house ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ironwood

Vertical lumber drying in Cuzco Peru, it is leaning against the eucalyptis scaffold. Ironwood 

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!