iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mouse season is well underway!

Started by Brad_bb, December 05, 2011, 07:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD350Cmark

Quote from: mrcaptainbob on December 10, 2011, 12:02:31 AM
I spray a STRONG mixture of hot sauce and water all over the wiring shroud and engine tins. All around the sparkplug holes, every where I can. No problems. The hotter the sauce the better.

Have you noticed any rust issues?  How does it smell after it warms up or is this on a vehicle / equipment that sits for long periods of time?

Anyone else tried this?

I found a nest and poop all over the enginge compartment of my F-450 yesterday.  It's been sitting for about a month, tarped.  Chewed the rubber battery post cover a bit, I think thats all, but I also noticed a set of parking / clearance lights not working on the bed... >:(

My dad has been trapping mice, rats & pack rats for well over 10 years.  He keeps count, somewhere in 400 + range to date.  They just keep coming out of the woods.

I starting thinking last night about something to place under the wheels to detour them.  Maybe a ring of hot sauce around the tires?
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

sparky1

I too use the mouse traps with the little yellow square pad, and i also just smear a little PB on it. I have caught over 20 within the last year on the same trap and the same PB. I dont use the poision because of my dog, shes a lab and she will chew on what ever she can find. It ticks me off, but I dont wanna find her lying in a pool of antifreeze some morning either.  Having to deal with mice, bats, moles and what ever other critters you can imagine is just one of the dis advantage of living in the sticks!  Still beats the heck outa city life though!! 8)
Shaun J

Brad_bb

JD350Cmark,
The first thing to do, I try to find out where they are coming in at and eliminate that entry point.  I am catching more lately because I haven't been able to do my bi-annual sweep.  But soon I'll have every thing put away and be able to do that, and that reduces the number that enter greatly.  Last winter I caught only two mice.  I have trapped 10 so far in the last 6 weeks, so that is some entry point or points I haven't located yet.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Al_Smith

:D My favorite feret story . My daughter raised the little rascals which would have 4 kits per litter ,Cute little rascals .Her male by the name of "stinky " was almost tame .I'd go get him and let him hop around the house then have a time catching him .

Well one day me and old Stinky were watching TV .Stinky inside my shirt .The damned cat got a tad too close old Stink nailed him right through the ear .The cat froze  and I had to pry that little peckerwoods jaws off that cat .The cat would never get that close  to old Stinky again .

SwampDonkey

New way to get ear piercing anyway. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mrcaptainbob

I have not seen any evidence, JD350Cmark, of rust or corrosion on the tin. And have not detected any smell from it when running, either. I don't spray the used stuff, as the mice keep away from that. But the not used, or rarely used, do get their dosage.

captain_crunch

economy bad enough here we been skinning and butchering em ::) ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

D._Frederick

I have had good luck with the automative box trap that you wind up. It is a sheet metal box approx. 7 inch wide x 10 long and 5 tall. It has about an 1 1/2 hole going  across the  width of the trap. It has a pressure trigger in the middle the hole that releases flap that sweeps the mouse into a storage space. It will catch 6, 7 mice before needing to be emptied, although they will start to smell bad if not remove.

The trap is place next to a wall or where they travel. Cost about $15.

Holmes

Think like a farmer.

reride82

I've never used ferrets, but lately we have been using peacocks and they are the best mouse hunters I've ever seen. We used to get mice in the outbuildings and the bulk grain storage buildings. The round metal grain bins weren't ever really affected by the mice. We always had barn cats and a house cat, but like you say, once they caught a mouse they would bring it to the house to show it off even if it wasn't all the way dead. Since we got peacocks they have totally eliminated the mice. We used to catch a few dozen mice a month in the traps and now I don't think we have caught a mouse a year since we got the birds. Although the birds themselves can be pests, pooping everywhere and the one male used to like to sit on top of our quonset and buzz ya when you walked across the yard. I swear he made a laughing sound everytime...
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

chain

We use gluboards, gluboards and more gluboards, not only mice but many other little critters...small snakes, lizards, spiders, beetles, little bitty bugs, centipedes, even mosquitoes have we caught. Really good for isolating entrances of critters, such as inner edge of patio doors, around floor vents, pipes, etc.

Lambee10

got a barn cat that sure earns her keep.  she gets up on the boards in the top of the barn and holds court. (picture Lion King) :D :D Its kinda wierd walking out to feed and all the Horses and goats are looking up at her.

Came in the other morning to the feed room and just after I turned the light on in the feed room a raccoon jumped out of the feed container.  It is a big plastic tote with a lid on it.  My cattle dog, Oakley, thought it was interesting but just stood there by the door as it climbed up the 2x4 to get out.  Just then, a second one popped out of the bin.  I looked at Oakley and he was looking at me for direction with a face like "what the...)  Well, when the lid bumped up again and a third one came out Oakley figures it is getting too crowded now and jumps out the door but still is peeking in.  I kid you not, the fourth one came out and I swear it was yawning.  I looked back out the door and Oakley and my barn car were just sitting there starring.  I think he really wanted to herd them out of there but he did not know how to get them becasue they were all over the place!   

me thinks I may have a raccoon problem. ::)
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

Thank You Sponsors!