iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Sawmill Shed - Eastern Red Cedar

Started by Ozarkian, January 21, 2012, 04:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozarkian

Hello, wondering if any of you have some advice and plans from your Sawmill Shed builds?  I will be using ERC and only ERC for the entire build as that is what I have and I do not want to purchase any additional lumber.  . 

Here's the beginning of my list:
1).  Would like to be able to build barn/workshop next to, or attached to the Saw Shed. Just want to have mill and lumber covered right away from weather.
2).  Metal Roof
3).  Open Sides ???
4).  Prefer blocks or timber frame foundation??? Main focus is cheap, easy, and stable foundation.  Will budget "some" money for the foundation, but the majority of the budget will be in metal roof.  Would love idea's here, but pouring slab is out of the question.
5).  Will be agricultural permit, so more options are available.  But I still want to build it safe for myself, my animals, and my equipment.
6).  I intend on building my barn/workshop UP TO 20x40, no larger.  Maybe smaller.  Need to find out how large I can build using primarily Eastern Red Cedar, started a topic in that forum for advice, but feel free to comment here as well!

I would love plenty of comments, the whole design is open right now as we are in the beginning stage and no ground has been broken.  My Wife REALLY wants me to get advice, instead of just designing it myself :P!!! 
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

jueston

the type of wood will not limit the size of the building, it will only change the type of building and the amount of engineering you will have to do, for instance maybe with oak you could have a20*40 barn 25ft free span opening to move your logs through to get them to the mill, with erc you can build a barn that is 20*40 but you won't be able to have the huge opening to move logs through. but that being said making the entire barn out of your wood and then integrating a single metal i-beam or large timber would be a reasonable comprimise i think...

but others who have actually built sawsheds will be here soon, and maybe with more specific advice...

texican

I use large (12"+) ERC posts for outbuilding supports... if the building is only supporting roofing.  In my experience, some erc doesn't stand up for building purposes, where weight bearing is required.  I wouldn't use it for any structural support, unless it was very large beams. I imagine if you looked up structural strength tables, erc wouldn't be recommended... of course I've been wrong before!

You say you have lots of ERC?  Is there no other timber species in the area?  Even if something is 'free', if it's not appropriate for the purpose intended, it's not a good deal.  At this moment in time, I'd trade you oak or pine for erc... as I'm overwhelmed with dying oak and pine trees, but the erc is surviving the drought just fine.

coastlogger

What does your local building code say about cedar? Here in BC Canada I believe recent changes made (Western) red cedar not an option for structural stuff
clgr

Ozarkian

Exempt, agricultural structure.  I may speak to zoning and see if there is a restriction.  I will see what other tree species are available to use (if no other option) that I can use still fresh.
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

paul case

Well you could do what I did , but you will need more land.
Borrow a bunch of money and build a chicken farm. 64000 sq ft under a roof. 4- 40' x 400' buildings. grow chickens for about 15 years and when the company wants you to spend a whole bunch more money you don't have  on your buildings tell them no. Then you will have all kinds of room under a roof. Problem solved.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ozarkian

Haha, I wish Paul!  That is an awesome set up you have there.  Wonder what it cost's ya to heat the place!! More than my mortgage probably.   ;D  I think you should take down a section or two, load it on the big trailer you have there and deliver it to my back yard.  Ya know... if you have the free time and all..  :)  Bring that old EZ Boardwalk Jr with ya too.
13h.p. EZ Boardwalk JR.

mad murdock

Ozarkian, you spoke of wanting to barter on another thread. Texican has a good suggestion. Get to know people in your region, and find someone who will trade you some structural wood for some of your ERC?  Them you can spend some time using some timber framing techniques to build a nice barn/mill shed that you will not be wishing was different. You are young, and from the sound of your illness (sawdust in blood) you may be spending a fair amount of time in the barn.  ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!