iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Something we all need to read. From my internet provider.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 14, 2012, 06:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My local Internet provider sent this out to all customers today. I think this concerns the internet nation wide.
Jeff may know more about this than I do but I just wanted to make all aware.
Read info below:

If Infected, Your Computer Will Lose Internet After July 9

Users of Windows PC and Macs alike have until July 9, 2012, to check and see if they've been infected with malware called DNS Changer and, if so, disinfect their computers. After that, the FBI will throw a switch that prevents infected computers from accessing the Internet.

What's going on here? It all began 2007, when DNS Changer surfaced and infected millions of machines. (To give you some background, the DNS system is a network of servers that translates a website address into the numerical addresses that computers use.) DNS Changer reprogrammed victim computers to use rogue DNS servers owned by the attackers. This allowed the attackers to redirect computers to hacker-created websites, and also prevented computers from updating or using anti-virus software, leaving them vulnerable to other threats.)

Last November, the FBI arrested six Estonian nationals that allegedly ran the fraud, and seized the rogue DNS servers. The FBI put up surrogate servers in place of the malicious ones, but only temporarily. After July 9, those servers will shut down, preventing infected computers from reaching the Internet since they'll be trying to redirect through servers that no longer exist.

To find out if your computer is infected, visit http://www.dns-ok.us/ Green is good, red means you're infected. There's a link on the page to the FBI's Malware information page. Also be sure to update and run your current security software. If you need assistance, please contact us for security software recommendations.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bogue Chitto

Thank You Sponsors!