iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber frame picnic table

Started by WineandWood, October 03, 2012, 10:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WineandWood

Well harvest is almost over and I am hoping to finish the never ending patio this weekend.  After that at some time I would like to build a timber framed shed.  But before the shed is started I need some kind of table for the patio.  I figured a timber framed table and benches would be a good way to learn some joinery before taking on a bigger project.  My wife is all for the idea.  Her only rule is the benches cannot be connected to the table.  I was wondering if anyone knows of plans for such a table.  I was thinking it would be fun to only use pegs to hold the table together.  Also what would be a good finish for the table.  I live in Grand Junction so we get a lot of intense sunlight and have a very dry climate.
I was planing on using doug fir or pine for the table.  Makes it easy because we have a sawmill with in a couple of miles of the house to get wood.  Thanks

scrout

I have always liked these guys work:

(Off site pictures are not allowed) 

woodlandcreekfurniture

Jim_Rogers

For benches, when I made up some log tables, I used 12x12 blocks for legs and a 2x14 plank for a seat:

This really wasn't a timber framed table.

But it wouldn't take much to make it one.

The wanted a very thick top so those logs are something like 8" thick or so.

A standard trestle table design might work.

A member here made a timber frame table for his shop.
But I can't see it in his gallery.

Maybe Ljmathias will post a picture of it for you.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jander3

Basic table and bench I made over a few winter weekends when trying to learn to timber frame.   

I don't think I used any plan.   For stability, I ended up adding some braces to the bottom portion of the table (between the upright post and foot base). 

bigshow

trying?

think you nailed it. well, pegged.
I never try anything, I just do it.

Macgyver

I had some free time this summer and put this one together.  It's all red oak, so I was fighting black stain the whole time.  Did some tests and found that Helmsman's spar urethane worked best for water/weather proofing, and resisting black stain in case tools with any carbon content get left on it.  I was trying to sell it, but it's about 9' x 4', and most people who saw it assumed it was an inside dining table, so it was always too big for anyone who came to look at it.  It wound up in the backyard, and it's too heavy to move it around much.  I did get an order for another one identical, just a bit smaller, so while I was running the mill for the new lumber, I cut up enough to do one out of maple. Gonna try cherry and walnut too this winter and see if I can start a little side business of rustic furniture. 

Smile! It confuses people

WineandWood

Thanks for the replies.  I am hoping to visit the saw mill on Monday to see what kind of lumber I can get.  There are a lot of great tables on here.  I really like the natural edges

Chilterns

Hi MacGyver,

The first few photos look OK and then a vertical taper key appears on the end tenon of the horizontal stay. Shouldn't this be a couple of horizontal keys ?

Chilterns

Macgyver

Chilterns,
I just designed it and cut it that way because I like the look better.  It's a wedge that keeps the whole table locked together really well.  I thought about the horizontal keys, but don't much like the look of them, and my brother has a table with them, and I always find them loosening up.  Any advantages to going with a horizontal vs vertical in this application?  Other than making the joint much easier to cut.

WineandWood

Picked up the wood and starting building yesterday.  Right now I am using make shift tools but learning a lot about the joints.  Had to buy a new drill yesterday as the one I had wouldn't spin the bit I was using to make tenons.  Pretty much what I expected but had to try it before I would let loose the money for a different drill.  Didn't get to work as much yesterday as I wanted but I did get a plan drawn to scale some of the "beams" and "posts" cut to length and the mortises and tenons laid out.  Started a mortise realized the drill wasn't up to snuff so a I worked on roughing in a couple tenons.  Hopefully get to work on it later this week.

Macgyver

Post some progress pictures when you get a minute, I'm interested to see what kind of design you went with. I used the 18v ryobi drills on a 2" bit.  Worked well for about 10 2x8" pockets (in oak), then the drill started to wear out so I went back to using my homemade boring machine.  Just something to keep an eye out for when buying a new drill; make sure it can no only turn the bit, but will continue to turn it after a few weeks of use.

WineandWood

Well knocked out a table during my weekend. Didn't turn out like planned but still will work and taught me a lot.  Mainly I need TF tools.  The crap chisels I was using didn't help in making joints.  What are the minimum tools I need to frame a shed?  I would like to slowly amass the tools to eventually build a small home.  I still have a few benches to make but think my next project will be some timber frame saw horses.  I worked on the ground building the table and would like a better option for cutting joints for the shed. I will try to post a few pics in the next couple days.  Thanks for all the help and input

Jim_Rogers

At the very top of this section, is a list of recommended tools.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,6403.0.html

Check this out and see what tools you already have.
We can help you get some timber framing chisels when you are ready, check out this list:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50674.0.html

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!