iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Shed

Started by Tree Feller, January 17, 2013, 07:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

Anybody here have an air-drying shed for their lumber? Show me a pic.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

I am sure that you have seen this before.  Eaves are 10 feet above the ground.  It is 25' x60'. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

If I had that, it would be called a sawmill shed  :D
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Well, it is that, too ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Hi WDH, is your shed on a side hill? it looks like the far end is in the ground and the near end is 3' higher or so :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

At least no one has brought up the snow load factor.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BBTom

This is what I made for a drying shed. it is 24 x 80 I should have made the bays 20' each instead of 16'. Then I could have put longer lumber under the shed.  Maybe next time!

2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

WDH

BBTom,

That is a perfect shed for air drying!

Peter.  Look at the piers that the I-Beams are bolted too.  That will show you what is level relative to the fall.  It is more like 18" from the back right corner to the front left corner.

Peter Drouin

Thats why I ask, why did you not level the hill first. or are you going to fill it in. to level the ground, to have a flat place to pile wood or level the mill :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: BBTom on January 21, 2013, 07:21:09 AM
This is what I made for a drying shed. it is 24 x 80 I should have made the bays 20' each instead of 16'. Then I could have put longer lumber under the shed.  Maybe next time!

Or put your long stuff in from the ends..... ;D

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

BBTom

What you cannot see from the picture is that there are two levels in the drying shed.  The side the picture was taken is the uphill side and there is about 9' clearance, the back side is about 2 feet down and has about 11' clearance.  The 2' drop in the middle of the shed makes it very difficult to stack things in the end.  Not impossible, for it has been done, but very difficult! :)
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: BBTom on January 21, 2013, 05:35:26 PM
What you cannot see from the picture is that there are two levels in the drying shed.  The side the picture was taken is the uphill side and there is about 9' clearance, the back side is about 2 feet down and has about 11' clearance.  The 2' drop in the middle of the shed makes it very difficult to stack things in the end.  Not impossible, for it has been done, but very difficult! :)

Too bad. Can you fix it with an afternoon of grading?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

BBTom

No, too close to driveway to lower the top side and raising the bottom side would mess with the bottom of the barn entrance.  I am just real glad I had the space for the air drying shed.  I do have a couple 20' concrete pads that I can stack longer stuff on.  They just don't have a roof over them,  maybe someday....

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: BBTom on January 22, 2013, 07:10:49 AM
No, too close to driveway to lower the top side and raising the bottom side would mess with the bottom of the barn entrance.  I am just real glad I had the space for the air drying shed.  I do have a couple 20' concrete pads that I can stack longer stuff on.  They just don't have a roof over them,  maybe someday....

It is always easier to plan your buildings after they are done and something doesn't work. Done it myself. :-[

WDH

Once I get rich from milling and selling wood, I will pour a concrete slab  :).

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: WDH on January 22, 2013, 08:22:12 PM
Once I get rich from milling and selling wood, I will pour a concrete slab  :).

Me too. :)

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Check out the pictures in DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER.  Note the gutters and roof overhang.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Tree Feller

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on January 23, 2013, 01:36:42 AM
Check out the pictures in DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER.  Note the gutters and roof overhang.

Thanks, Doc. I will.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!