iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We can't all view sketchup files

Started by Brad_bb, March 22, 2013, 10:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

A number of people have been asking for input on their projects lately and attaching a sketchup file that you want us to look at.  Not all of us are doing sketchup.  Can't you export an image from sketchup and post that?  You'll get more input if everyone can see the project.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

tyb525

Sketchup can be downloaded for free, in the meantime. I think it's a great program to learn. It's really simple to learn anyways, and is a lot more useful than a picture, cause you can rotate the structure and take measurements, among other things.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dieskyver

I have used autocad and concede to it being the "industry standard."  I am currently learning sketchup so I can post my frame on this forum. Mainly because it is free and offers a lot.
   I do however understand brad_dds point as my devise(primary means of enet access) makes me jump through rings of fire to view the .skp
   I plan to be as detailed as possible and post pics of my .skps to the posts as I need all the help I can get.  And it will help the small group of "followers" I have gathered on my journey. I will be forwarding a link to the posts I make here so they can follow the progress.
Josh

Brad_bb

I had sketchup on my old computer and messed with it, but since getting my new computer 15 months ago, I didn't download sketchup.  I have been using Unigraphics (NX8) and it's enough to remember those commands.  This after having been a long time ProE user, which is a whole other set of commands.  I think you can see why I'm a bit loathe to deal with a whole other program. 
   I would also hazard to guess that some on this forum don't have the computer skills to get to the point of using a sketchup type program.  But everyone can view an image and then be helpful on someone's post.  Really how much more trouble is it to post an image?   After all, Jeff has made uploading much easier than it used to be.
   It is not my intent to come off harshly, but just state the case and reasoning.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

Just thinkin here, but sketchup is free to download, and then the files on here can be viewed. That doesn't take much trouble at all. 
Seems the files can be viewed with no knowledge of how to use sketchup. Or is that not true?

What am I missing?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Brad,

I here your point, but considering all the CAD type programs I have used, I must say that Sketchup is going to really begin challenging the market of Auto CAD for ease of use, support, user friendly controls, and global community support.  Five years ago, all the architects I worked with called it a fad and a "non viable CAD program," now 90% of them do there client briefs with Sketchup.  Why?  Because their clients have there own copy and learned how to use it.  I was talking to a few of them last week and the are getting rough drafts from clients.

As fare as here on the FF, I'm assisting a dozen folks offline from loggers to timber wrights, all not heavy computer users and they are picking it up quicker than I did, when I first tried it out.  I think, for the sake of communicating graphically with the timber framing community at large, Sketchup is the program to learn.  We are upgrading to the Pro model, just because several building departments we deal with use the program.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Ianab

Certainly makes sense to use Sketchup to share CAD drawings as it's the de-facto "free" standard.

But I think Brads point is that posts might be more informative, especially to people browsing the thread, if they had a .jpg "instant preview" in the thread, then the sketchup file attached for people that want to dig deeper.

I believe it's available for windows and mac PCs, but a lot of people are browsing the forum on tablets, phones or Linux boxes. So they have no way of seeing what's being discussed?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jay C. White Cloud

Ian, your right, I now understand what Brad was saying, that does make sense.  I know saving a screen shot of the drawing isn't that much harder than attaching a file, so for one, I'll make sure to do that and encourage others to do the same.  On a high note, it won't be long before those other programs will support SketchUp files, from what I understand.

Regards.

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Jim_Rogers

I have a folder on my computer titled SketchUp files from FF.
I download files from the forum to it.
I don't draw with SketchUp.
I haven't taken the time to learn any drawing commands at all.
I can rotate the model and look at things.
The only thing that I have ever done is measure stuff.

I just wanted to make a point that if you just want to look at models posted it isn't very hard to do.

Having a picture as well would be a nice improvement to anyone post for those who can't download large files and view them.
On another forum where we discuss designs all the time. And mostly problems getting the drawing program to do what the poster wants it to do, they request constantly to "post the plan".

We could request that each person who does "post the plan" also post a picture.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

Linux user. My sister partitioned the hard drive for Windows so I could download sketchup. I have to reboot to use sketchup. I did that once, never again will I use windows.  steve_smiley
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bigshow

Dave,

If you have quite a bit of RAM in your computer (~4GB.  You can do it with less, but it will be a little miserable) you can install VMWare player (free, industry standard for Virtual Machine technology) on linux, and then install windows as a virtual machine and run MS Windows in a...well, a window in linux.  Virtual machines is where IT has moved - partitioning hard drives for various OS's is over - especially when you can run multiple OS's all at the same time by toggling between windows or virtual/multiple desktops.

But, I also see Brad's point.  As a 13 year network engineer, I never take the time to look at someone else's sketchup files - I'm not putting someone else's files on my computer as I dont know where you people have been LOL.  A picture can speak a thousand words for an initial discussion.  Sketchup for in-depth, or both.  I think a picture would reach a broader audience more quickly.  And then going nuts in Sketchup when warranted.
I never try anything, I just do it.

D L Bahler

The point has already been rought out to some degree, and I will second it

Not all of us access the forums through a means which we can view these files. We may not have the liberty to install a program (on a network, for example) or may often be using a device (I use my phone to view things like FF more than a computer)

And another point, some of use may not be very fond of computers, and not want to spend time installing a program, and then not spend the time down loading files and touring through them every time someone has a project. TO me, good old architectural drawing are the best, and something I can instantly comprehend.

Don't assume everyone has the latest and greatest equipments. Remember that not everyone in the world is in love with technology.

piller

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 23, 2013, 08:50:15 AM
Linux user. My sister partitioned the hard drive for Windows so I could download sketchup. I have to reboot to use sketchup. I did that once, never again will I use windows.  steve_smiley

Fellow linux user here.  I installed the latest version of wine for my linux distribution (wine-1.4.1) and downloaded the latest windows version of sketchup.  I used wine to run the sketchupwen.exe file which installed sketchup.  I then had to use regedit in wine to edit the registry to fix an opengl error (known problem).  Then I am able to run sketchup, see attached screenshot.

So, it's possible to run sketchup in linux using wine, or via a virtual machine as was already suggested.

As for the original post, I agree that it would be helpful to post an image along with a sketchup file.

WmFritz

All I use anymore is my tablet w/honeycomb OS. It won't read the sketch up files.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!