The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: My timber frame build  (Read 86444 times)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
Re: My timber frame build
« Reply #580 on: February 17, 2022, 09:03:27 PM »
Update 2/16/2022:

Took a drive up yesterday with my sister to just take a look around.  One of my neighbors on the main road got broke in and two TVs stolen.  No tracks around my place.   Nothing is visible from the road - there is a little hill between the road and me.  When my cabin it done, the top might be visible.

Anyhow, how it looks out there now:

After nearly 40 days of no precip (except for a light dusting Sunday night), the 8' of snow is down about half way.  Very crusty top, only punching through a little where the snow was mostly shaded all day and didn't develop a crust.

The main goal was to retrieve the front left tire off my Ford.  It's parked in the left stall under the deck, you can see a bit of the left rear fender.  The Gannon box is under the snow.  I parked it just before Christmas with the front axle up on blocks so it was just a matter of using my DeWalt impact to pull the 8 lug nuts and lift the ~100 pound tire up the 4' bank of snow right behind the tractor.  I used a game sled/toboggan to haul it back to the truck.  It has an ever so slight leak at the bead - just enough to be annoying.

Snow predicted Sunday-Tuesday.  Maybe another next weekend.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #581 on: April 21, 2022, 01:09:26 AM »
Update 4/20/2022:

In two months, a lot of snow melted.  Then lots of mini-storms that dumped about 6" in the last week.  There's about a foot in the sunny places and 2-3' in the shade.

Close to starting work...but another 1 to 3 feet predicted by Friday. ::)

I think there is a thread about bad tree form somewhere.  This one might be good in another 5 or 6 years to make some crazy slabs!

John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #582 on: April 21, 2022, 01:18:36 AM »
I bet your ready to get after it! Beautiful and neat tree 👍

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #583 on: May 31, 2022, 10:08:15 AM »
Update 5/27/2022:

Kept forgetting to post this.  Up a ways is a post about getting some logs from a fellow FF member, Billy.  Last of the snow on 5/19:

Snow finally gone and got a self-loader lined up.  Took the help of a big backhoe FEL to load the second one due to the reach for the self-loader.

The second log was 37' but we trimmed it back to 35' due to a messy end/fiber pull.  That left the "short" butt log of 35' which is 51" BED and 40" SED.  The trucker said the onboard scales said it weighed in a 20,000.  Took a bit of doing to get the second log on and he was worried that it would be too hard to take off.  We also tossed on a 17' and a 10' 3rd and 4th log from this one tree.  The rest of the top exploded when it hit the ground last fall.  Not bad, 90+' of saw log from one tree!  My SkyTrak picked up the far end off the log truck with no issues - the trucker was amazed at the strength of the forklift.

Somewhere above is a post with a picture of my camping trailer. Camper Pad  The quick spot I made was tight, if you tripped coming out of the camper you'd fall down the hill!  Spent some time messing with my new tractor and my old backhoe to pop some mini-boulders out to expand the pad.  Heading up tomorrow to finish setting up so I can get at it!  Temps still dropping to freezing overnight.
John Sawicky

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #584 on: June 01, 2022, 08:09:36 AM »
It's good to see you "extracting" both your building project and this topic.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Cornerstone

• Full Member x2
  • Glad to be here.
    • Share Post
    • Cornerstone Furniture Company
« Reply #585 on: June 03, 2022, 09:19:02 PM »
Wow! John, your face must be in the dictionary when people look up "Jack of all trades". You clearly have a multitude of skills, and a boat load of talent. Incredible place you have made for yourself sir. If I could manage the time I'd offer to spend a week or two helping you on your timber frame cabin build. I think it'd be an awesome experience in one of the most beautiful places on Gods green earth. 
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill in the works, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2000 Silverado 1500HD, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #586 on: June 23, 2022, 09:58:55 AM »
Update 6/20-22/22:

Among other fun tasks, using the Roust-a-bout to place the 5x9x12' floor joist timbers.

Placed all 5.  Four in this front most bay (need one more) and the 5th in the next bay back.

Completed the front 8x12 post joints and cleaned up one corner post I did last year and started on the other corner post.  Once that is done (4 brace pockets to go), then I cut the 8 braces to make ready to set the front and final bent in place!

Then on to tackle the big logs and make beams!
John Sawicky

Offline Walnut Beast

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #587 on: June 23, 2022, 10:04:22 AM »
Looking great!!!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #588 on: June 24, 2022, 09:34:57 AM »
It's good to see this progress.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #589 on: Yesterday at 04:39:51 PM »
Update 6/28-29/2022:

Over the weekend I had a day and a half so I finished up the last of the brace pockets on the corner posts and cut 8 of the 10 braces (actually 3 were "extras" from last fall). 

My son volunteered to come up to help all day Tuesday and half day today before he has go to work.  So yesterday morning I cut the braces and had him try out the slick to finish up the cuts.  He did ok for the first time trying it.

Then we went upstairs to test fit each of the three posts in the sill with their braces.  First one was tedious but the other two went quick.  Then to fit them into the beam.  Those cuts were from last fall and took a bit of trimming to make them fit again.  Had that all set up ready to go about 6pm.  My son was a little disappointed that I wasn't going to push through and set it up last night.  I knew better ;)

So we went out for dinner and called it an early evening.  Hit the wood again at 8am.  Had it up by 9:30 or 10 after I did a last adjustment to the middle post to beam braces.  Then a bit of hand nailing of the straps - 200+ nails.

Have a few more straps to do on the left post.  That's NOT a big check running down the beam.  Had a rope on there to keep the end post from slipping off.

Probably going up tomorrow to finish securing.  Later in the evening, I'll set my laser level up top so I can mark a level line and see how close my posts are in height.  I adjusted nearly each one a bit so I'm hoping pretty close now.

On to the beams!
John Sawicky

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
First Timber Frame Build

Started by aguaman99 on Timber Framing/Log construction

27 Replies
Last post February 02, 2019, 03:24:33 PM
by aguaman99
xx
Not Timber Frame but a build question...

Started by SPD748 on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2015, 03:33:59 PM
by fishfighter
xx
First Timber Frame Build - Gazebo

Started by tadamson on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2021, 09:11:33 AM
by tadamson
xx
Wanting to build my own timber frame