iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about the quality of finished cut (Wood-Mizer lt15)

Started by Knot_Head, July 16, 2013, 11:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knot_Head

Thinking about getting an lt15 for personal / business use.

Every video I have seen the head shakes a lot through the cut, is this normal? Does it produce wavy cuts throughout the entire piece?

Is getting the power-feed option for the lt15 worth it?

Great forum here guys, been a long time lurker.
I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.
—Abraham Lincoln

stanwelch

Welcome to the forum as a member!!

I've had my lt15 for just over 2 years.  used for my own projects.
I'm not real sure what you mean the head shakes a lot through the cut.  However, I do not get wavy cuts during normal sawing.  in fact, only time I remember wavy cuts was my fault--dull blade, red oak and sawing too fast.  put on new blade--solved problem.

I am very happy with my lt15.  I purchased the power feed option new with the mill.  Am not sorry, many advantages -- can step back out of the sawdust cloud when wind is in wrong direction, can lower backstops I forgot to adjust before starting cut etc.

Where are you located?  I am in southern lower Michigan.  If you are in the area, you are welcome to see my saw and judge the lumber qualty first hand.
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Jemclimber

+1 to everything above including the power feed. I really like the 15, although if the price on the 28 was what it is now on sale, at the time I bought mine, I would have to have really thought about getting the 28.
lt15

Knot_Head

Thanks guys for the answer.

I do have a couple more questions. Has anyone raised the bed of the saw off the ground 1' to not have to bend down so much when messing with the backstops / adjusting logs etc.. I know the disadvantages of this would be the logs would have to be raised higher, but I have a skidsteer that will do all the heavy lifting.
I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.
—Abraham Lincoln

downsouth

Welcome to the FF
    I have an LT-15, great lumber quality. And the power feed is very nice.
   I will be raising the bed on mine when my sawshed is complete. One drawback is turning your logs. You don't want to have to stand on something to flip your logs, but I think 1' or 18" would be fine.
     It is a pain in the back to keep bending every time you do something . Good luck!

Magicman

Knot_Head, I know nothing about an LT15, but Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kingcha

I am a new WM LT15 owner and my cuts are also very nice.   My last log was not as good but I do believe I have to check all my alignments and or maybe time for a new blade.

On the raising the bed I raised my about 8" and wish I would have raised it more but do to my lean-to height I did not feel I could go much higher.

The log rack works great.
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

GDinMaine

I watched an LT-15 cut the same good looking lumber as my LT-40.  I don't think you are giving up any quality, just a bit of speed.  For that fact I watched other brand mills cut the same nice looking lumber too.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

WDH

My LT15 cuts excellent lumber, as good as any mill.  The power feed is wonderful, worth every penny.  I raised my mill to about knee height, and that is a very good working height.  Also, get the Logrite 78" Megahook, and that will make turning the really big logs much easier.  Much, much easier.

If you build a simple log deck, you can load it with the skidsteer and roll the logs easily onto the mill.  Here is a pic of how i have mine set up.  This is not a hobby mill, but a working mill. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Knot_Head,welcome to the forum. Do something like WDH has. You would not want to hit your mill with a skidsteer. Much easier to roll the log on to the mill with a Logrite,sponsor on the left,peavey or cant dog. You will do less damage to your mill this way. Won't have to re-level it either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ga Mtn Man

I can vouch for the quality of cut on the LT-15...at least on WDH's mill anyway. 

Hey, Danny, did you ever put up that sunscreen that we talked about?  These cloudy days aren't going to last forever.  ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

YellowHammer

I had an LT15 and it cut smooth and flat, as good as my LT40, which use the same blades.  The saw itself was bullet proof and just had a great "feel" to it.
I built a trailer under my mill to get it off the ground and that also opened up many options, including log decks and other mechanical devices. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

dgdrls

Welcome Knot_head,

I had an LT-10 similar set-up the 15.  I had some  shake  especially with harder woods.

Band selection was "more limited" on the LT-10 than the 15 I believe. 

Have you looked at other mill manufacturers who support FF?

best
DGD

WDH

Paul,

Yes, we now have a sun screen!  BTW, the mill bed is still dead flat. 

Knot_head,

No shake on my mill. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Knot_Head

Thanks for the info, guys.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the MP100 planer that will fit the lt15 track? If I am going to purchase an lt15, I would like to purchase the planer as well.
—Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!